Chapter Thirty Seven

I sit up slowly and my head is throbbing. What happened? My vision is fuzzy. I rub my eyes hard, but it won’t go away. Oh no. I jump out of bed and make it to the bathroom just in time to throw up.

        “Alex?” Liz says, walking into the bedroom.

        “Bathroom!” I yell.

        A moment later, I walk into my room to find Liz sitting on my bed. “Are you okay?” she asks.

        I rub my head and sit down. “What did I do last night? Was I drinking or something?”

        Liz shakes her head. “I don’t think we have any alcohol in the house. Why, what’s wrong? Are you in pain?”

        “Everything’s fuzzy,” I say quietly. “I feel weird. I only remember bits and pieces of last night, but not enough to make any sense.”

        “Did you take a sedative?”

        “I don’t think so. This is something else. It’s different. I- I don’t know.”

        Liz gets up and starts digging through Mike’s nightstand. “I don’t see anything new in here,” she says over her shoulder. “But if you weren’t doing anything last night…” she says, her voice trailing off. “Alex, I think you were drugged.”

        “What? How could I have been drugged?” I ask in confusion. “Wouldn’t I know if I was?”

        “Mike, get up here,” Liz yells from the top of the stairs. He comes up a minute later.

        “What?” he asks.

        “What did you do to Alex?” she demands.

        He has a look of confusion. “I didn’t do anything.”

        Liz storms out of the room mumbling to herself.

        Mike sits on his bed across from me. “How do you feel?”

        “What did I do last night?”

        “You don’t remember?”

        I’m starting to get nervous. “What happened?” I ask cautiously.

        “All good things,” he says. “Don’t worry. We had some fun.”

        I stand up. “What are you talking about? What did you do to me?”

        He stands up now, walking toward me. I stand my ground. “Don’t worry about it, baby. You’re fine.”

        “I don’t feel fine.”

        “It’ll wear off within the next twenty-four hours. You’ll be back to normal by tomorrow. I’ll see you later,” he says, leaving the room.

        What am I supposed to do?

        “Alex? What are you doing here?” Matthew asks after I knock on his window. “Savannah’s on her way to pick me up. I was going to spend the day at the hospital.”

        “Perfect,” I say. “I’m going with you.”

        Savannah picks us up a few minutes later. Matthew and I sit in the backseat.