~ Twelve ~

Rotten Row, Hyde Park, London

Sidney halted alongside the trio of ladies who regarded him with mingled shock, curiosity and delight. A young lady, similar in appearance to Charlotte, gaped and cast an inquiring glance at her companions, who appeared immobilised by surprise.

Lady Susan was the first to break the awkward moment.

"Mr Parker, well met," she motioned to Charlotte and Alison. "Of course you are acquainted with Miss Heywood, but let me make known to you Miss Alison Heywood, Charlotte's sister."

Sidney, pulling his eyes from Charlotte's, remembered his manners and offered the ladies the appropriate greeting, bowing from the saddle as a mark of respect.

Lady Susan continued, "Charlotte and Alison are staying with me for the season. Perhaps you could join us for a stroll?" She suggested, smiling benignly, "they would much appreciate the company of such a handsome and friendly face."

Charlotte, jolted from her shock by Susan's invitation, exclaimed, "Oh, I'm sure Mr Parker has much more pressing engagements to attend to."

She risked a glance in Sidney's direction to find his eyes still studying her. Inwardly, she winced. The pain was still as sharp as it had been on that fateful day on the cliff tops of Sanditon.

Sidney regarded Charlotte for a moment, before inclining his head. He swiftly dismounted his horse and gathered the reins, preparing to walk in hand.

"I have no other claim on my time. It would give me much pleasure to take a stroll with such amiable companions."

He offered his free arm to Charlotte, who hesitated a fraction before placing her fingers tentatively on his sleeve.

Lady Susan smiled broadly, linked her arm through a curious Alison's, and walked on ahead.

After an interminable interval, broken only by the soft footfalls of the horse, Sidney spoke.

"You are looking well, Miss Heywood. I trust you have had a pleasant time since arriving in London?"

His voice was low and intimate, and Charlotte felt like she had been caressed. Such a silly reaction, Charlotte, she scolded.

"Thank you, Mr Parker. Our time, since arriving, has been busy. Lady Susan has been so kind to sponsor us. She seems to have very definite plans for how our season shall progress," Charlotte responded, politely. She was pleased; her voice hardly shook at all. Progress indeed.

"Oh, is that so? And how does Lady Susan envisage your season?" Sidney asked, a slight edge to his previously smooth tone. "Is she to tutor you in the ways of the ton? Fire you off onto the Marriage Mart? I should hate to see you disillusioned by the hypocrisy and falseness that abounds amongst the beau monde, Charlotte."

Realising his slip, he corrected ruefully, "I mean, Miss Heywood." Quietly, he added, "I have long since forfeited my right to address you so intimately, I apologise."

Charlotte inclined her head, in silent acceptance of his apology. Dare she tell him that she would always be his Charlotte? No, indeed that would be the height of stupidity even for her.

Instead, she chose to answer his enquiry, "Indeed, Lady Susan has been most kind and has ensured that Alison and I have the appropriate introductions to make our Season a success."

Sidney narrowed his eyes at her response, ambiguous as it was. Enough! He told himself. For the moment, at least, his behaviour must not give anything away.

After a few more moments passed, he asked, "Have you had news from Willingden, Miss Heywood? Your family, they are well?" He inwardly groaned; polite conversation was not his forte.

"Very well, I thank you," Charlotte answered, relieved they were once more conversing of less personal topics, "And what of Tom and Mary? Are they much occupied with the building works?"

"I haven't spoken to my brother in some time," Sidney frowned, indeed he hadn't yet forgiven Tom for forcing his hand. "I believe, from reports, things are progressing, once more, at pace. I also have reason to believe Mary will soon be amongst us in town. I'm sure she would be thrilled to see you." Much like I, he thought wistfully. Unsure at the moment whether that sentiment was shared by Charlotte.

"Oh, that is good news!" Exclaimed Charlotte, "I have missed her and the children terribly."

Sidney could see she was in earnest. One of her most admirable characteristics was her capacity to bring joy and find it in others. How he missed that. Missed everything about her. Guilt spiralled through him at the thought. Until he was free, he couldn't afford to think such thoughts.

Charlotte regarded Sidney. He was clearly showing kindness to her today. He had not mentioned his upcoming nuptials, and for that she was glad, but if they were to continue to see each other amongst society, clearly the subject could not be ignored.

So, Charlotte told herself to be brave and asked, "How is Mrs Campion? Your wedding is but a fortnight away, is it not?" Charlotte's voice cracked slightly. She pretended to cough, hoping Sidney would not notice her lack of composure.

"Ah," Sidney began discomforted by Charlotte's enquiry, "I ... er ... haven't had a chance to call upon Mrs Campion yet. I have just this day returned from Lord Babington's estate. I assume she is well."

At that moment, a call came from a nearby carriage.

"Sidney!"

Sidney looked across and saw Eliza. He raised his hand grudgingly and acknowledged her greeting.

"As if we had conjured her from thin air," Sidney muttered quietly.

Charlotte frowned, "Mr Parker, thank you for your company. I shall keep you no longer, as I see you have more immediate calls upon your time."

Sidney reluctantly nodded, "Good day Miss Heywood."

He began to lead his horse away but stopped after a short distance, "It was lovely to see you again. I hope we shall have an opportunity to speak further. Until then, Charlotte."

He bowed, and she curtsied in farewell, belatedly realising he had once again called her Charlotte.

As Sidney strode across the park to Eliza's carriage, he allowed himself one furtive look behind him. Charlotte stood unmoving for a long moment as if lost in thought, before hurrying on to join her companions.

"Ah, Sidney. I hadn't realised you were back in town," Eliza spoke as he reached her, "was that Miss Heywood I saw you speaking with? I was quite surprised to see her here in London, being such a country mouse as she is. Alas, Lady Worcester has an idea to introduce her to society. Quite amusing really, don't you agree Sidney?"

"Mrs Campion ... Eliza," Sidney inclined his head in greeting, "and, yes, it was Miss Heywood, but pray tell, why should she being here cause your amusement? Her family is as respectable as yours or mine, and she is a particular friend of Lady Worcester." Sidney spoke dismissively, "Anyway, I had planned to call on you later, once I have had the opportunity to remove the dust from my travels. I bid you, good day, madam."

Sidney gathered his reins and remounted his horse. Tipping his hat in farewell, he left Eliza scowling in his wake.