~ Fifteen ~

"Sidney, there you are!" A sing-song voice exclaimed. He closed his eyes – a pained expression transforming his features.

"Silly man, have you forgotten you are to stand up with you betrothed for the first dance?" Eliza smiled tightly as she joined them. "I'm sure Miss Heywood understands that a man of your position has long-standing obligations."

She turned to Charlotte and said dismissively, "Ah, there's Mr Crowe, I'm sure he will take pity on you – he seems almost sober this evening. Come along, Sidney."

Sidney gave Charlotte an apologetic look, "Another time perhaps, Miss Heywood."

Charlotte watched them cross the floor then sighed and looked away. She spotted Alison along the line partnering a young gentleman, who seemed to Charlotte to be barely old enough to be out and about in Society. Across the ballroom, Susan was holding court amidst a group of admirers. She sighed again, at least they looked to be having fun.

"Well, Miss Heywood? Shall we show them how it's done?" Mr Crowe held out his hand and waited, a look off fashionable ennui firmly in place and only a very slight sway to his bearing.

"I would be delighted, Mr Crowe," she replied. Anything was preferable to standing here alone like a veritable wallflower, she mused.

The music was beginning just as they joined the set. A cotillion. A stately pace and an elegant formation. Mr Crowe was a dry-witted and surprisingly amusing companion. For someone so obviously half-foxed, he danced splendidly. It was only as the set progressed that Charlotte realised where Mr Crowe had placed them.

As the pairs moved to become quartets, Charlotte found herself, once again facing Sidney. As they joined hands to form a circle, Charlotte was all too aware of the shock that their touching induced. Flustered, she stumbled slightly, only to find a strong hand holding her steady. Their eyes met and held in a charged moment before the dance moved them apart once more.

"Like a fox in the hen house," chuckled Crowe. "I am afraid, my dear Miss Heywood, you have caused ruffled feathers."

Charlotte's cheeks flamed as she realised Mr Crowe had noted her reaction to Sidney, and it was becoming increasingly apparent that Mrs Campion had noticed too.

"I'm sure I don't know of what you speak, Mr Crowe," Charlotte mumbled, raising her chin in feigned ignorance. Mrs Campion, her green eyes flashing, continued to regard her with undisguised hostility.

"My advice, for what little it is worth, is to ensure you are always two steps ahead in any game. For this is a game, my dear, and your opponent does not play fairly," Crowe warned.

Charlotte puzzled over that remark for the remainder of their dance, steadfastly refusing to look in Sidney or Mrs Campion's direction.

Once the set had concluded, Mr Crowe escorted Charlotte to the refreshment table where she accepted a glass of lemonade.

"You must not lose heart, Miss Heywood. All is not without hope," On that cryptic note, he returned Charlotte to Lady Susan's side.