~ Twenty-Four ~

Eliza caught up with him on his way back to rejoin his family.

"Sidney. Stop, Sidney," She grasped his arm and forced him to turn. "Did you not hear me call you? It is unlike you to be so inattentive."

"My apologies Eliza, my mind was elsewhere," he replied flatly, "I was not aware you were attending this evening," he offered.

"Clearly not," Her eyes narrowed, and her displeasure was apparent. "It was a last-minute decision following a quiet dinner with friends. We decided to seek out some diversion," She replied tartly.

"I must say I did not expect to arrive in time to witness you parading that strumpet around in full view of everyone." Sidney bristled at her words. Good, Eliza thought, "I have never been so mortified. Most gentlemen wait until after their marriage to take up with a mistress."

"Eliza, enough!" Sidney snapped, incensed. His evening had been perfect, and now it was going to hell in a hand cart.

"You know very well, Miss Heywood is neither a strumpet nor my mistress. Are you insane? She is a gently bred female and does not deserve your derision. If you must blame anyone, blame me, for it was I who sought her out and I who asked her to dance with me."

"If she is not your mistress now then she surely will be before long. You were practically making love to her on the dance floor. It was obscene. I would have thought you would at least show me some respect in return for the money you so desperately require," Eliza hissed in response.

"You are correct, Eliza. You do not deserve to be embarrassed, and Miss Heywood does not deserve to be so cruelly maligned," Sidney replied coldly. "I suggest you rejoin your friends, Madam, for our conversation this evening is at an end."

Sidney turned on his heel and stalked off, leaving Eliza casting imaginary daggers at him as he walked away.

Meanwhile,

"Well, Crowe. How do you suggest I proceed?" asked a considerably more well-turned-out, Sir Edward Denham.

Crowe rolled his eyes, "Denham, use your deuced imagination. You're hardly a green lad straight out of short pants. Seduce the bitch. That's the arrangement. I'm off to find myself a drink or three and will await news of your progress."

He walked off towards the refreshments and prayed to God they hadn't just made a colossal mistake. Denham may be a Baronet, but the man had as little honour as a rattlesnake.

Nonchalantly, Edward made his way towards the rotunda where he had last caught a glimpse of his quarry. There was a certain thrill in trying to thaw a cold-hearted widow like Eliza Campion. In the past, she has been dismissive of his charms, but Crowe and Parker need not know about that. The chase was part of the appeal, not to mention all of her delicious blunt.

He spotted her with a small group of acquaintances and noted her distracted manner. She looked incensed. Obviously, someone had been at the receiving end of her sharp tongue already this evening. He would have to make every effort not to be the next recipient. Although he smirked, discipline had its attractions, particularly in the bedchamber.

"Mrs Campion? Is that you?" Edward purred as he prowled closer, "How delightful to see you again."

He took her dainty, gloved hand and kissed her fingers, "May I say, you are the most delectable creature I have had the pleasure to behold."

He smiled his winning smile and brushed a blonde curl from his brow in the manner that caused most ladies to swoon.

"Sir Edward. How unexpected to see you." Eliza replied frostily, "I was of the impression that you were, how shall I put it? ... obliged to forgo society," Eliza smiled unkindly, "for lack of coin? Or was it perhaps your unnatural fondness for your sibling?"

Huh, Edward thought. She knows about that then, does she? The hunt became harder with every syllable she spoke. Very well.

He squared his shoulders and faced her spite head-on, "I, my dear lady, have been grossly maligned. Lies one and all spread about by my deceitful stepsister to steal my share of our inheritance. Nonetheless, I have recently come into some funds and have decided to enter the fray."

"The fray? Sir Edward, surely you don't refer to the marriage mart?" Eliza laughed.

Edward was more than a little irritated by her reaction, "I hear you may once more be available upon the mart yourself, Lady Campion."

Eliza narrowed her eyes at that remark and took several steps away from her companions. Privacy was required.

"You've heard incorrectly, I am to be married in two weeks, and nothing shall prevent it."

Ah, well he'd upset the apple cart now. "One hears that love will conquer all," he replied smugly.

"Love, Sir Edward, what know you of love? Ah, but of course. You loved your own dear sister, did you not," Eliza replied caustically.

"Now see here, madam, that was lies. Fabrication," Edward clenched his jaw in anger. The bitch was toying with him.

Eliza laughed, "Your sister and her husband are here tonight; shall we call her over and ask her?"

Under his breath, he muttered, "No wonder he wants to be rid of her, the harpy."

Eliza asked, "Who? Who wants rid of me?"

Edward blanched.

Her tone became syrupy in its feigned sweetness, "Come, Sir Edward, you may tell me. It's Sidney, yes? He wishes to break our engagement to be with that farm girl!"

Realising his momentous mistake, Edward tried hard to recover lost ground, "I know not what you mean, Mrs Campion. Perhaps you are suffering pre-nuptials doubts?"

"Oh, no, Sir Edward. I have no doubts, in fact, it's quite clear," She regarded him; an angry glare distorted her otherwise beautiful features, "Money, you said." Eliza glowered.

"You said that you came into some recently." Understanding dawned, and an idea was forming in her mind, "Whatever they paid you, I shall offer you double. He did offer you money, did he not?"

Edward said nothing for a moment or two, as he considered his options. The lay of the land was quite clear. Eliza would never be fooled by his attempts at seduction. That much was obvious. Parker and Crowe had paid his debts but promised nothing more, his prize was to have been Mrs Campion's fortune. Well, that was never going to happen, so what else could a gentleman do?

"In return for what, madam?"

Eliza smiled triumphantly, "You must make Miss Heywood must disappear."

Edward, not generally one to be easily shocked, stood open-mouthed for a moment.

"Disappear? You want me to rid you of Miss Heywood ... permanently?" He gulped.

"Use your initiative, Sir Edward. She must be unable to cause any further damage to my alliance with Sidney," Eliza clarified, suddenly feeling pleased by the thought.

Recovering his wits, he thought on the matter. She didn't actually mean to do away with the girl surely. A disappearance may be enough to placate her. What an evil specimen she truly was.

He regarded her shrewdly, "If you wish to engage my assistance, you and I must agree terms. A paltry five thousand will not be enough."

Eliza moved closer, stood on tiptoes and whispered in his ear, "Let's discuss those in private, Sir Edward. I'm sure we can come to a mutually rewarding arrangement."