~ Thirty-Two ~

The Crown Hotel, Sanditon

The following morning, Charlotte woke slowly, cocooned in a blanket of warmth. It took her a moment to realise that she was not alone, and yet another moment to remember the events of the previous day ... and night. She could feel her cheeks heating at the thought of her wedding night! A chuckle sounded, and Charlotte abruptly opened her eyes to find Sidney watching her.

"I would very much like to know what thought brought that delightful colour to your cheeks, Mrs Parker," he teased, then laughed when she ducked under the bedsheets to hide.

Charlotte realising that neither of them had a stitch on beneath the sheets, promptly re-emerged, "Do not laugh," she tried very hard to sound vexed, but failed.

"Come here, love. I shall not tease you anymore," Sidney laughed and pulled Charlotte into his embrace. "We shall break our fast and then begin to prepare for our trip to London. The sooner we settle this matter with Eliza, the sooner we can come home."

"Home, Sidney? I thought London was to be our home?" Charlotte moved so that she could see his face. It was open and free from the worry that had, until recently, clouded his features. He looked truly happy. Had she done that? She wondered, ridiculously pleased. Part of her had resigned herself to a metropolitan life with Sidney. Though, she would follow him to the end of the world if she had too.

"Home. Charlotte. I have never wanted anything more. Tom has asked me to stay on to manage the Sanditon finances on his behalf, as well as my own interests, and I have agreed. We will become partners." Sidney observed his wife to gauge her reaction.

How good that sounded 'his wife', he thought, "I have spoken to Tom about purchasing a property for us here in Sanditon, with your agreement, of course."

Charlotte smiled broadly and kissed him soundly.

"We are agreed then?" He chuckled.

"Oh yes, husband," she laughed. "Although, perhaps we should stay here a while longer to discuss it?"

"In Sanditon?" He asked carefully.

She shook her head slowly.

"In bed," She replied, giggling.

Sidney found that he was only too happy to agree to her suggestion.