Chapter Fourteen

Now it was my turn to say: "What the hell?"

I was completely and utterly confused as I thought about the situation at hand. The whole pen thing had been strange enough on its own, but having this extra information just made it more so. Klaus had given me something of his on purpose and now I wasn't sure what that meant. 

But to my brothers, of course, this pen stood as a marriage proposal. 

"Look," Quigley cooed, "our little sister's got a boyfriend. She's growing up so fast!" He pretended to wipe away a stray tear.

"I'm so touched!" Duncan chimed in. 

"Both of you can shut up!" I growled as they continued to go on and on about the situation like it was important news. I, however, ignored them and let them get on with it. I considered messaging Lily about the new discovery but I knew she would be excited and I wasn't sure if I could handle the madness through my phone as well as from my brothers. So instead I sat on the floor, opened a book, and tried to zone out. To no avail.

"No offense to your boyfriend, Isadora," said Duncan, "but this is a bit of a weird gift."

I frowned. "Bit harsh."

"But true," he reminded me with a point of a finger.

Quigley snickered and said, "What else would you expect from the resident emo boy? Oh my god, are you guys gonna send each other handwritten letters? Or poems you've written each other?"

"Oh! Is that why Klaus said there's a poetry club?" asked Duncan, "Because you've tricked him into believing he's there instead of detention?"

"Do you guys sit by candlelight-"

"-and use quills-"

"-no Duncan, why would he give her a fountain pen if they were using quills?"

"Oh I forgot."

"This isn't Harry Potter. What, do you expect Hedwig to fly through the window?"

"My bad. Do you guys make holy sacrifices in his backyard and use the blood as ink for your fountain pens?"

Quigley shook his head. "Now you've crossed the line."

Duncan blinked in shock. "How do you know what creepy things they may or may not do in that house?"

"Somehow I don't think they're slaughtering field mice to write romantic poetry."

"You never know-"

"Can you guys leave or something?" I finally spoke up. It was impossible to think with their stupid bickering. 

They both fell silent before Duncan muttered, "Can you help with my maths homework?"

I sighed. This would be a long afternoon.

*

The rest of my week was surprisingly uneventful. I spent my remaining detentions just reading or getting homework done and Klaus and I didn't have any more interactions, let alone full blown conversations. And then, as the week came to a close, I smiled at the thought of not having to go to any more detentions. The previous two weeks had been full of drama, unnecessary drama, that would've been avoided if I didn't have detention and didn't have to lie to my parents, and didn't have to vaguely be involved with Klaus Baudelaire. 

The idea that everything would go back to normal was a nice one, and one that I relished in as I made my way to school the following Monday morning. I met up with Lily as usual and listened to her go on about blobfish, avoided the slightly off-putting looks Carmelita sent my way, and made it to class in record time, having all of my homework completed and ready for marking. I couldn't have been happier thinking about how I was going to spend my extra hour a day now that I could go straight home when the bell rang. That was, until I realised something.