Chapter Thirty Six

Truth or Dare is one of those games I always hate. In my eyes, all it does is reveal awkward information, start arguments and ruin friendships. Yet, it's a game that people seem to love to play. It's almost as if people just enjoy conflict. In terms of Carmelita and Caitlin, that's always their prime goal. I figured they would want nothing more than to come and destroy every friendship in the room, spill every dark secret, and then use all the new dirt they learn against everyone. They were nice like that.

But, since that's just what you do at a sleepover, we all gathered into a circle and the game began.

"I'll go and get Klaus," Caitlin exclaimed, jumping to her feet before anyone could tell her otherwise.

Violet frowned. "He won't come with you."

"Don't be so sure," Caitlin called over her shoulder, "I can be very persuasive."

The way she said it made me scrunch my nose. Based on her tone and the way she sauntered off to the staircase, I wondered if she was about to try and seduce him. I dreaded to think about what that might look like.
Unfortunately for Caitlin, I wasn't sure if crispy, bleached hair was his type. Actually, now I was thinking about it, I didn't know anything about his type at all. Not that it was the sort of conversation I expected to have with him very soon.

Within a couple of minutes, Caitlin came back, noticeably on her own. However, her smirk hadn't faltered.

"So, who's going first?" She asked, strutting towards us.

We went round the circle and took it in turns asking truths and giving dares. They started off quite tame, with dares like: eating a spoonful of relish, dancing around the room and shouting weird phrases out the window. And of course we learned some random information about each other from the truths, such as: Grace having her first kiss when she was six, Violet had once embarrassed herself by having an invention explode in front of everyone at a science fair, and the slightly disturbing fact that, if stranded on a desert island, Carmelita would apparently eat me first. I shouldn't have been surprised. 

"Isadora," Georgia said with a smile, "Truth or dare?"

"Truth," I answered quickly. I definitely didn't want to subject myself to a dare given who my company was. Who knew what weird things they would make me do, only to bring it up at a later date and embarrass me. 

Georgia thought for a second. "Who was your first kiss?"

"You can't use that one again," Grace complained, "Think of something else!"

"Hmm, I can't," Georgia replied, "So it'll just have to be that. Who did you have your first kiss with?"

I felt myself flush as I glanced around at everyone. All of their eyes were trained on me, waiting to hear my answer.

"Oh..." I said, hesitating and wondering if I would get away with lying. However, based on how red my face felt and the fact I was being watched like a hawk, I didn't bother trying. "I- er haven't had it yet."

"You haven't had it?!" Caitlin exclaimed, "What are you, a nun?"

Before I could say anything else, the game had moved on and it was Violet's turn to ask someone. I zoned out slightly, feeling a bit put out. Nobody needed to know that information but now they did. I hated Truth or Dare. 

"Carmelita, truth or dare," Caitlin asked.

"Dare, obviously," she replied, flicked a ginger curl over her shoulder. 

"I dare you.... to jump up and down twenty times."

"What?" Georgia retorted, "That's a crap one!"