Chapter Forty Five

I stepped through the front door and into an almost silent house. I would've thought it was completely empty had the door not been unlocked and the faint sound of the television hadn't been coming from further on in. As soon as I walked past the living room door, two identical heads turned around sporting identical mischievous looks. 

"Where have you been?" Quigley teased, "Doing rituals with your little vampire friend?"

"Raising the dead?" Duncan suggested, grabbing the remote and switching off Home and Away, as if annoying me was more interesting than finishing watching their show.

"Cursing your enemies?"

"Enchanting weapons?"

I gave them a weird look. "I was at school?"

Quigley tapped his imaginary watch. "School finished almost two hours ago."

"Where does one go for almost two hours?" Duncan pondered in a dramatic voice.

"I was in the library, you stalkers," I retorted, and stormed off to my room.

But, because they were nosy and I wasn't allowed even a second of time left alone, I was followed shortly after by my brothers.

"I don't believe youuuu," Duncan said in a singsong voice and I just rolled my eyes and ignored him.

"You know," I said, irritated, "my room isn't some sort of clubhouse. I need my privacy sometimes, without you two losers in here."

"But then you would miss us," Quigley pouted. 

"Highly unlikey," I said before trying to switch the subject. "Don't you guys have stuff to do? Quigley, aren't you supposed to be chatting up that girl from your science class? And Duncan, don't you have the school newspaper to be writing?"

"Well yeah," Duncan replied, "why do you think I'm in here trying to get the latest scoop?"

"I don't need to chat up Fiona," Quigley said, "She already likes me."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I saw her run away from you yesterday."

"Girls like to play games."

Before I could roll my eyes again, my phone pinged with a notification and all of our heads snapped towards the sound. 

"Don't you dare," I warned, giving Quigley a stern look.

He had a habit of sprawling out on my bed whenever he came into my room, which was a lot, and today I had stupidly chucked my phone onto my bedside table instead of keeping it on me.

"I'll just peak," he said and, despite me arguing against it, he did just that. Duncan sat next to Quigley to try and get a look as well.

I frowned, annoyed that not even my phone was private from them two. Usually I would've fought them for it but I didn't have the energy. I wasn't too concerned though. After all, they didn't know my passcode and usually the only notifications I was getting were from games I hardly played anymore or texts full of marine life facts from Lily. However, based on Quigley's reaction to whatever he saw, I wondered if maybe I should've fought the phone from his hands.

"What is it?" I asked, getting up from my desk and holding my hand out to take my phone back.

Quigley ignored me though and showed Duncan, who's eyes widened.

"Since when does Violet Baudelaire text you?" Duncan asked curiously.

"Err that is absolutely not the right question we should be asking," Quigley exclaimed before turning to me, "You're going on a date?!"