Chapter Thirty Four

"Are you kidding me?!" 

I turned around to see Lily making her way down the hall towards me, earning a few confused looks as she was being loud and excitable. You would think that the school would be used to her slightly off-beat behaviour by now but apparently not.

"Of course I want to come to Violet's sleepover!" She exclaimed, jumping to a stop once she reached me.

"Right," I said, grabbing her arm and pulling her along to the cafeteria and away from people's whispers. "You don't need to announce it to the whole school."

"I'm just excited-"

"Yeah, I can tell."

"- because I've always wanted to go to one of her sleepovers!"

I frowned. "Since when?"

"Since about ten minutes ago!" Despite me holding onto her arm she still attempted to skip, resulting in her pulling me along instead of the other way around. "Do I need a sleeping bag?"

"I'm assuming no, unless you feel like sleeping on the front porch."

Lily ignored me and continued babbling on. "I have an inflatable pillow you know, and a set of head torches. You know, we might end up going for a night walk and then we'll be sorry we don't have head torches so maybe I'll just pack them. Oh, and you said they have their own library right? Does that mean I need to bring a book as an offering? I don't think I've read since I was seven but maybe they'll like my Dr Seuss collection. I'll bring Green Eggs and Ham to be on the safe side. But what if they're more of a Sam I Am kind of family? What do you think?"

I sighed and pulled out my phone. "I'll just give you Violet's number and you can ask her yourself. About the sleeping stuff, I mean. Please don't message her about Dr Seuss."

*

Saturday came quicker than expected and I was getting my things together, ready to go to Violet's. We were due there at one o'clock and had been told to just bring a pillow, as they had plenty of blankets already. I wasn't really sure what to take so I just packed the essentials and then went to shower. 

Lily ended up being almost two hours early so she came to mine and we hung out together. And, because they couldn't be left out of anything, Duncan and Quigley ended up in my room as well. We were just chatting about random things when I noticed Lily eyeing me up.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Are you wearing that?" She said, narrowing her eyes at me. 

I gave a confused look towards my brothers before answering. "I mean, it's on my body?"

"Don't be stupid, Isadora, you know what I mean," Lily huffed. "Are you not dressing up?"

I was confused. Lily wasn't someone who judged someone's appearance very often so the fact she had brought up my outfit was slightly bizarre. And, it wasn't as if we were going to a fancy restaurant. We were just going to Violet's house, hence why I was just wearing leggings and a hoodie. There was no point in dressing any way other than comfortably. And, to make matters even more confusing, Lily was dressed similarly to me. Why would she ask me if I was dressing up if she wasn't even dressed up herself?

"What are you on about?" I said and Lily just huffed even more in response.

"Goodness me, Isadora, do I need to spell it out for you? Why aren't you dressing up when we're on the way to see Klaus?!"

I felt myself flush slightly and in the split second that I glanced over at my brothers, I noticed they both seemed extremely amused.

"H-hey! We're going to see Violet not Klaus. And I wouldn't dress up for him anyway! I have no reason to! And- why are you laughing?"

"Because you're so dense!" Lily exclaimed. "I'm your best friend! You think I wouldn't notice that you two have something going on?"

"We don't!" I said, crossing my arms. "Now you sound like Caitlin."

"Come on," Lily insisted, "You guys literally slept together!"

Duncan spat out the water he was drinking, whereas Quigley opted to shout: "WHAT?" at the top of his lungs. I was dumbfounded for a split second before jumping to defend myself.

"NO WE DIDN'T?! We fell asleep next to each other! Those are definitely two completely different things!"

"Wow," Duncan said, wide eyed, "No wonder you didn't want to spill the beans about the other night."

I dropped my head into my hands, feeling my embarrassment radiating off my skin. "It's not like that, I promise."

"Hmm, sure." Quigley nodded sarcastically. 

I groaned as the three of them kept laughing and teasing. I should've known the three of them in one room wouldn't spell anything but disaster. 

Finally, it was time to head to the sleepover and I happily said goodbye to my brothers. I was mostly pleased because it meant they couldn't team up with Lily anymore, but I was also just excited to be seeing Violet again. In such a short amount of time I felt like we had grown close, or at least close enough that I felt comfortable going to her house. And with Lily tagging along as well, I knew we were in for a fun night. 

Lily bounded down the pavement ahead of me and banged on the door. I just had enough time to catch up with her before it opened, surprisingly by Klaus.

"Hey Klaus!" Lily said over-enthusiastically, glancing towards me in a way that I knew she thought was subtle, but wasn't actually subtle at all. I ignored her and just gave Klaus an awkward wave that I instantly regretted. Why are you waving to someone that isn't even far away?

He said something quietly that I didn't hear but assumed it was some form of greeting, and stepped to the side to let us in. We only made it up the first couple of stairs, though, before he spoke up.

"Wait!" He exclaimed and I paused to look back at him. "Before you go upstairs, there's something you should know," he said, looking concerned, "We have a bit of an unwanted guest."

"What do you mean?" I replied, but as Klaus was about to continue, his eyes darted away from me and to the top of the stairs, and he instantly stopped himself. I followed his gaze, utterly confused until I saw who he was looking at. 

Because there, on the landing, leaning over the banister as if she didn't have a care in the world, was none other than Carmelita Spats.

A/N:

Um, chaotic chapter???? Sorry about that. To be honest though Lily, Duncan and Quigley together does end up causing chaos so.... blame them lol. 

I also meant to post this yesterday but my brain wasn't working. I'm trying out a bit of an update schedule, mostly because I'm posting to a schedule on my second account and I'm trying to spread out my work load. It's not really working out though so we'll see if it sticks around or if I just end up going back to posting on random days. If all goes to plan though, I think I'll be updating this on Mondays and Fridays (ignore the fact that this is going up on a Tuesday pls 🥺)

Anyway lol I'll stop talking now. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! See you next time! ❤