Chapter Forty Eight

I took a deep breath before stepping into the living room, where my parents were watching the TV. Their eyes fell onto me as I cleared my throat slightly, just loud enough to get them to turn around.

"You're back," my father said, a kind smile on his face, "How was dinner with Lily?"

Ignoring my heart beating loudly in my ears, I tried to be confident. "I... wasn't with Lily."

"Oh?" My father said, while my mother just gave me a strange look.

Based on her expression, she was already unhappy, and I supposed she had a good reason to be. I had lied. My mother hated lies.

Neither of them said anything and instead just waited expectantly for me to explain.

"I was with Klaus," I said, "And yes, dinner was nice thank you."

My mother scoffed. "I should've known. So, what, is he your boyfriend or something now?"

"Yes actually." I was surprised at how confidently my voice sounded, but I was glad for it. On the inside I was panicking and I was relieved that it didn't seem like it was showing for a change.

My father looked shocked, but he often did, whereas my mother just looked me in the eye and said: "Okay."

"Okay?" I repeated.

I had been ready for a fight; a verbal battle where I had to try and convince her that this wasn't a diabolical idea. Hell, I was even ready for her to tell me to pack a bag and get out again. But now, despite her stony expression, she was saying, "Okay."

I felt a mere droplet of relief before my mother continued.

"I knew that family would poison you sooner or later," she said coldly, "Don't come crying to me when you realise you need the antidote."

At that, she got up and stormed past me. I made eye contact with my dad, who gave me a tight smile.

"I'm sure she doesn't mean it," he said reassuringly.

Have you even met this woman?! I thought to myself.

Other times, I would've let her go when we'd disagreed about things. It was always so much easier to just ignore each other until the incident became meaningless and could be swept under the rug. I would always have to compromise since it was her house and she was in charge, but not today. This meant too much to me. Klaus meant too much to me.

I turned on my heel and went after her. Weirdly, she was outside, on the back porch, just staring into nothing.

"What's your problem with the Baudelaires?" I demanded, "You act like they're murderers."

"They might as well be," she replied coolly.

"What have they even done wrong?"

My mother laughed to herself. "Oh, nothing. The Baudelaires could never do anything wrong. Everything they do is perfect. The perfect Baudelaires."

Despite her being turned away from me, I noticed that she was upset. Her usual bite was nonexistent and she kept picking at her cardigan sleeve. Usually her comments would sound patronising and angry, but tonight something was different.

"What happened?" I said quietly, "What did they do to make you hate them so much?"

My mother turned around and I saw that the tears had already started to fall. She pulled her cardigan tighter around her and then sat on one of the chairs we had outside. I wordlessly took the one next to her and waited patiently for her to speak.