Chapter four

"I am not telling you this to mock you, Elizabeth. Your daughter needs help." Marty's mom put her hand over my mom's when she saw her eyes were getting watery.

"If you are not trying to mock me then why are you telling me this? I don't believe you she was there all by herself, let alone screaming for help. Gina is a very sensitive young girl and she is even scared of her own shadow! There is no way she could..."

"I know what I saw! Trust me, I am telling you this for your own good. So you can help her."

I was furious hearing what Marty's mother was saying about me. They couldn't see me because I was behind the hallway wall but I was able to hear everything they were saying.

"Nonsense! I bet you went to every house in the neighborhood before coming here and told everyone what you saw! Even if it isn't true!"

"I swear I came straight here. Why would I do that? You have such a low opinion of me. I thought we were friends."

"We were, until this day. I'm sorry but I can't get over the fact you're trying to make my daughter look crazy in front of everyone."

"If you saw what I saw you would think that too! I'm sorry but what she was doing certainly looked crazy to me."

"That's it!" My mother stood up from the chair. "Get out of my house!"

"Elizabeth... I didn't mean to say she was..."

"I said get out!" She showed her the door.

"Alright." Marty's mom went to the door. "I only hope you will realize one day I was just trying to help. It breaks my heart that you are ready to throw away all those years of friendship so easily." When she left my mom started crying at the dining table. I went back to my room.

"I can't believe her!" I haven't even reacted to the fact there was a woman sitting on my bed when I came into the room. Partly because I got used to it by now and partly because I was furious. "Did you hear what she said about me?"

"Of course I have. I can not believe you always used to fantasize about you two getting along once you and Marty get married." Damballa flipped her hair.

"I never f... That doesn't matter! Ugh, I can't believe she could say something like that about me! Like maybe it's you I should be angry at. You caused all of that and you put me in that situation. But I'm now glad that you did. If you didn't I would never see her true face!"

"You're welcome." She was admiring her long red nails.

"She is calling me crazy! Can you believe that?!" I walked back and forward across the room. "She is telling me that I'm crazy!"

"How dare she?" Damballa rolled her eyes and threw herself on the bed.

"I'll tell you what; she is crazy! She is not just crazy, she's insane! She has completely lost her mind!"

"That would be fun..." Damballa muttered.

"What did you say?"

"Oh, I said she's crazy. I agree with you. She really seems like it."

"Thank you. " I stopped walking and looked at her. "I'm glad I can count on you to support me when I feel alone."

"Always, my dear. Always."

"Can I hug you?" She seemed confused.

"You have to be kidding me..."

"Why? I'm not..."

"Why would you want to hug a demon? I'm starting to agree with all of them..."

"You're right. It is a pretty bad idea." I looked at her suspiciously and she smiled.