Chapter eleven

"What a beautiful day to die." I started getting irritated by the fact Damballa walked with me to school every single day.

"Do you have to do this?"

"Do what?"

"Walk with me to school. I am not a kid, you know..."

"But you need protection."

"You're not protecting me from anything, Damballa. If anything, you're the one who keeps getting me into trouble."

"A thank you would be just enough."

I decided not to speak to her anymore, but she never liked being ignored. Thankfully she didn't do anything about it.

I got used to everyone's awkward stares in the hallway, so much that I wasn't able to realize a girl calling me. I got too good at ignoring hearing my name to the point where it had the negative effect.

"Hey, Gina!" At first, I questioned my own eyes, and if I should respond to her in any way. If it was Damballa messing with me again I couldn't afford any more unwanted attention.

"Hey." I said as silently as possible when she approached me. She seemed as if someone made her come and talk to me.

"The principal is calling you in his office. He said it's urgent." We heard the doorbell and she got impatient to leave as if she already wasn't.

"Now? But the class is about to start."

"He told you not to worry about it. Go, they're waiting for you." She turned around and left. What did she mean by they?

"Promise me that you'll behave."

"What?"

"I know you're gonna follow me if I ask you to wait here. So just promise me you won't do anything stupid." I tried to make my lips move as little as possible while speaking to her as we walked to the principal's office.

"I'm only going with you because I love seeing you suffer." She giggled. I gave her a side-eye but she ignored it and kept smiling already imagining how the principal is going to give me a hard time.

After I knocked on the door Damballa opened them and I was left staring at the principal bluntly.

"Oh, it's you, Gina." He smiled with his mouth closed, making it seem like a sympathetic smile. "Here, have a seat." He showed me the chair across from his. I noticed he wasn't alone. There was a man, perhaps in his thirties standing next to the principal.

After I sat down they started staring at me with those eyes I got sick of the last few days. Maybe the eyes weren't all the same, but the look they gave me certainly was.

"We would like to talk to you. Dr. Gary will speak to you after I leave."

I looked at the man that was standing again trying to think how he was a doctor already and he looked so young. Then I got offended because I realized that he wasn't the kind of doctor that treats injuries. At least not the physical ones...

"Hello, Gina." He shortly said. I was glad he didn't speak much. For now.

"Do you feel okay with that?" The principal asked.

"Okay... Sure." I wasn't sure if I was. But I knew there was no way for me to avoid this so I might as well go along with it.

"Great." The principal took his coat. "I will be back when you're done here. You have my number so just call me." He kept giving signs behind my back while leaving, and the doctor was just nodding his head.

After we were left all alone it all seemed much more quiet and pleasant, except for the company I was in.

"Alright, Gina. Where should we start?" That sentence made me think if he even knew what he was doing here and what was he trying to accomplish.