Chapter five

Usually my biggest fear while walking back home was the dark or the graveyard but this time all I was concerned about is Damballa possibly hurting Marty's mother.

"You mustn't do anything to her!" I said after making sure there was nobody at the road able to hear me.

"Who?"

"You know who! Marty's mother! I saw the way you were smiling."

"And just by looking at my smile you came to a conclusion I am up to no good? But I thought smile was a good thing in your world..."

"It isn't when coming from a demon."

"That is just hurtful. And to hear that from you of all people..." She pretended to be crying and lowered her head.

"Okay, I'm sorry..." As I was trying to comfort her a strange-looking man passed by us. He wore a black hoodie and I wasn't able to see his face because he was walking very fast.

"No you didn't!" I ran home as fast as I could. When I got into my room Damballa was already there leaned against my closet. I tried calling Marty but nobody was answering the phone. Then I texted him.

-Marty are you alright?

-Yes. Why wouldn't I be?

-Just making sure.

"Oh, thank God." I sat down on the chair.

"What was that all about? You don't trust me?"

"Not at all."

"And you think I'm evil..." She sighed.

_________

Marty was in the living room watching TV with his parents and his two little sisters. One of his sisters is looking through the window at the street and suddenly notices a strange man approaching the house and tries to warn everyone.

"There is a black man coming over here!" Nobody was paying too much attention to her.

"Just get down from the window." Marty said while switching the channels on the TV.

"But I saw him! He is real..." Suddenly the man appeared on the window put both of his hands at the glass and looking at them. They all jumped in fear except for Marty's mother.

"Marty, lock the door! I'll call the police!" His dad grabbed the phone.

Marty rushed to the door and locked them. Then he got back to the living room to comfort his sisters who were crying. The man was no longer looking through the window.

Marty's mother unnoticeably went to the front door and opened them. She went outside of the house calling the cat.

"Mom, what are you doing?!" Marty stood at the front door watching his mother searching for the cat on the lawn.

"I have to find Bobby. Bobby could get hurt. I don't want him to die. Bobby, where are you?"

"Mom! Please come back inside!" He begged her.

"Not until I find him. Where are you Bobby? Oh, you naughty little cat." She walked around the yard.

"Mom, he's right beside you!" Marty yelled hoping that he would scare her and convince her to get back inside. "Hurry up!"

His mother turned around to run inside when she heard that. Suddenly the man appeared from the back of the house holding a knife in his hand. Marty's sisters stood behind him screaming in despair and he knew that he would risk his own life and the life of his sisters if he went outside to defend his mother.