Chapter fourteen

They say that no secret remains a secret forever. Judging by my last revelation that was more than true. Now somehow everybody knew about Damballa and even came up with their own stories that couldn't be further from the truth.

Today was the day that was going to determine my future, and possibly my entire life. As I was getting ready I stood in front of the mirror to take a look at myself for the last time, before heading out. I tried to judge myself based on nothing but my appearance to get a better picture of how the others in the courtroom will see me. At all costs, I wanted to avoid looking like a potential criminal. But in the end, I realized it had nothing to do with how I'm dressed. In the end, nobody dresses as a murderer.

"Gina, what is taking you so long?!" My mother was impatient now that there was only an hour left to the beginning of the trial, which I was able to understand. But what I wasn't able to understand is that she kept rushing me as if we were late even five hours ago.

"I'm done." I walked outside, this time without need or hope for her approval on my outfit choice because she had left it on the chair in my room last night.

"Good. Now, I want to make sure we're clear. I will pretend to be a lawyer."

"Alright." I sighed because I saw no need for this absurd show.

"Did you kill Alice?"

"What? No. Of course not." I was confused she was so straightforward about it, hoping that they will not be that way at the court.

"Why are you lying?"

"I'm not. I didn't do it."

"Then who did? Your imaginary friend?"

"No. I don't have... No."

"You're saying you don't have one? That's not what I heard."

"Mom, please stop this. I can't take it."

"Take what? If this is too much for you then I'm scared to think what's gonna happen when we get there."

"Are we ready?" I was glad dad came and interrupted her imaginary trial in which I was already pleaded guilty.

With one short nod, she confirmed that she is finally ready to go and we all went outside. This was particularly hard for me since I didn't know if next time they're coming back I will be with them.

__________

"You did great, honey." My mom tapped my shoulder as we went out of the courtroom for a short pause along with others. Alice's dad stormed by us and went into a room nearby together with his lawyer. "Do you want to go eat something? We have enough time..."

"No, I'm not hungry." I sat down on a bench and leaned my back to the cold wall.

"Alright, we'll be back soon. Be nice." She took dad's hand and they headed outside. Others have already emptied the hallway as if nobody wanted to be here even a second longer than necessary. Now I was left alone.

Someone was yelling from the distance and I stood up ready to examine where the angry voice came from. As I got closer I was able to realize the voice belonged to Alice's dad. He had every right to be angry, but not with me.

I got as close as possible to the door that was not closed all the way. Luckily, they were not able to see me. Alice's dad walked nervously around the office while his lawyer sat at his chair watching his every move with sorrow.

"She said it! She said she killed her!"

"Calm down, sir. I know what she said. But nothing is over yet."