6- Tough love

The two finally arrived at the garden and Zenitsu was tired! He fell down on the ground, his breathing unstable. Tanjirou worriedly knelt down beside him. Tanjirou placed his hand on Zenitsu's back and patted him softly.

"Zenitsu, are you ok?" Tanjirou asked, earning himself a tired no from Zenitsu. Zenitsu's breathing gradually slowed. When he finally calmed down, he looked up and apologized for the trouble.

Zenitsu hated that he is suffering from broken ribs for the millionth time in just a year after becoming a demon slayer. He cursed under his breath the day he actually survived the final selection.

Zenitsu sighed and stood up- with the help of Tanjirou of course. He led Tanjirou to his favorite part of the garden- their hands entwined together.

Tanjirou was led to where he usually escapes to when ditching trainings. He enjoyed the scenery of the flowers swaying along the wind. The way the butterflies' wings flutter gently from one plant to another.

Tanjirou took in the scents. It was a mixture of a flowery and earthy scent. And although slowly drifting away, Zenitsu's scent was there. But right now, Zenitsu was beside him. Smiling contently at the scenery. His scent emitting a proud one.

"It looks great!" Tanjirou exclaimed, smiling happily at Zenitsu. Zenitsu puffed out his chest and smiled. "Of course it is! I tended to it while ditching!" Zenitsu proudly announced and Tanjirou chuckled.

Tanjirou didn't know what there was to be proud of about ditching but was glad that Zenitsu was happy. It made his scent sweeter, and Tanjirou can't help but want to engulf the older boy in a hug.

But he didn't. He forced every brain cell he had to stop himself from hugging him. And it had him trembling. Zenitsu heard that Tanjirou's melody sounded troubled and he cautiously faced Tanjirou.

Zenitsu was greeted by a slightly trembling and hunched over Tanjirou. Zenitsu panicked and fussed over him. "T-tanjirou! A-are you alright!? Do I smell bad? Are you poisoned!? Are you d-d-d-dying!? NOOOOO!! CALM DOWN TANJIROU!! BREATHE, TANJIROU! BREATHE!!" Zenitsu, not knowing what to do anymore, went to hug Tanjirou.

Tanjirou took this chance to engulf the shorter but older boy in a hug. He buried his nose on Zenitsu's neck and inhaled the intoxicating scent of peaches and a little bit of flowers.

Zenitsu started calming down and sighed. "What's the matter? You were trembling earlier." Zenitsu asked. Tanjirou flinched at the question and his heartbeat sped up a bit.

"I..." Zenitsu can hear the hesitation in his voice but didn't pry for an answer. Sometimes, it's just hard to share what's on your mind; especially if it's something to be embarrassed about. So maybe, he's actually embarrassed about something for once!

After a minute or so, Tanjirou finally felt like speaking. And so he did. "I was thinking if I should hug you or not earlier. The mood seemed fit." He chuckled nervously, further pressing his face to Zenitsu's neck.

Zenitsu's face flushed into bright red and his hug tightened slightly. With a burning and bright red face, Zenitsu squeaked out a complain. "Don't just suddenly say embarrassing things! That's just so embarrassing!" Zenitsu snuggled a little more closer to Tanjirou despite his earlier statement.

They were sharing this moment together. Not as lovers but as friends... that won't admit their feelings. The atmosphere was romantic but it was shattered by one scream. A shout from their boar-masked friend. Specifically a shout that said, "THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!"

Zenitsu realized that they were hugging. And he had never shared that intimate gesture with others (that were willing and not him latching on innocent bystanders) before.

He quickly pushed Tanjirou away and offered a quick apology before running off to the clinic. Surely, he had heard giggles from three little girls. That we all know as Naho, Kiyo, and Sumi.

°°°

Tanjirou smiled fondly as the blond, flustered to the point that his neck to ear was flushed red, ran away from him to the direction of the clinic. After having a 'thinking of Zenitsu' session while grinning stupidly, he went on his way to visit his little sister.

°°°

Chats with siblings were nice, comforting, and sometimes irritating. Tanjirou was inside the room that Inosuke and Nezuko had to share.

The estate had a lot of patients for the time being so, they were shoved into two small room that can fit only two people.

Tanjirou didn't understand. It has been a while since he smelled the scent of distressed.

And it was mixed with Nezuko's now unique smell. He knocked on the box. "Wanna talk about your problem?"

There wasn't any sound made for a while, it was just silent. Not uncomfortable but relaxing. When Nezuko finally felt like answering, she pushed on the door and went outside, bamboo left in the box.

"Nii-san. Do you have someone you like?" Nezuko asked out of the blue.

"I like everyone. Why?"

"I mean love. Are you in love with someone?"

Hearing a statement like this from a younger sibling is pretty shocking. They're usually ignorant, but in Nezuko's place, too busy with the younger ones to find a love of her own.

Tanjirou smiled at her and answered, "I don't really want to put it that way. But yeah. I guess I am." Nezuko stared at Tanjirou's smiling face. He doesn't look like he's lying.

"Can I guess who you like, nii-san?" Nezuko asked. Tanjirou readily agreed, nodding to give consent. "Of course, you can! No harm done!"

With that said, Nezuko started guessing while Tanjirou answered with a small smile. "Is it that girl? That pink butterfly girl."

"You mean Kanao-san! She's a good girl and I like her but she's not it."

"Then, blue butterfly girl?"

"It's Aoi-san, Nezuko! And no. Not her."

"Is it purple butterf-"

"No! Not Kochou-san! And not anyone from the Butterfly estate!"

"Inosuke?"

"Nope."

"Then, Zenitsu?"

"Ye-" Tanjirou almost said 'yes' but caught himself. It wasn't like he didn't trust his sister to keep a secret. She was more than capable.

"No. Not him." Tanjirou lied. His face was scrunched up in a weird way and he was avoiding eye contact. He was also biting his lips pretty harshly.

Nezuko gasped. Her brother lying meant she got it right. He likes Zenitsu. And that means she doesn't have a competition with Inosuke. She didn't care what she was thinking anymore. As long as she doesn't have any competition, she will have her chance!

"That's great! I'm so happy for you!!" Nezuko stood up and hugged her brother. Tanjirou was confused but returned the hug. At least she wasn't down anymore.

•••

And it's the start of Christmas break!!! Yay!! Finally have lots of time now! Wish you guys an advanced Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! I hope you enjoyed!!