9- Don't worry, I'm here

'It's been five days now including the day Inosuke left but he hasn't shown up yet. He shouldn't be taking it too long, he's a battle maniac of some sort, after all.' Zenitsu thought as his brows wrinkled in worry.

He sat on the veranda watching the butterflies fly around the garden he had helped in grooming. He was desperately searching for his rowdy friend's sound, exhausting himself past his limits.

He didn't want to lose the loudest one in their little group formed by friendship, arguements, and trust when the inevitable has yet to come.

Zenitsu sighed. There still wasn't any sign of Inosuke being near and Zenitsu started fearing for the worst, face losing color and paling instantly.

'What if Inosuke had been outsmarted by girls like he once had been? No, no, no. That's impossible. They would be too scared to even try and do that. Could it be he was killed by a demon? No, that can't be right. Inosuke's mission is on the far off south. The uppermoons wouldn't be there. It's not even that populated unlike in Tokyo.'

Zenitsu sighed again for the umpteenth time that morning. He was really being such a worrywart for Inosuke. After all, Inosuke is incredibly lacking in the brains department.

....

Tanjirou had just finished training with Aoi and was now walking down the corridor that led to Zenitsu. Kanao was on a mission and would be back in a day or two. Tanjirou didn't worry about her, she was stronger than most of them. What Tanjirou was worried about was his friends, Zenitsu and Inosuke. Mostly about Zenitsu but the worry for Inosuke was there.

Inosuke hasn't gone back yet after five days and Zenitsu spent most of his time with creased brows and a frown on his face, his scent soured with worry.

He wanted to bask in Zenitsu's scent, console him, hold him in his arms, and tell him that everything was going to be fine. The thought of doing that made Tanjirou smile as he sped up to meet up with his crush.

....

Zenitsu lay on his back and looked up at the ceiling. It was no use. He was tired and sleepy. Even if he wanted to stay awake until Tanjirou arrives, he just can't stay awake. His eyes starts closing and soon enough he was asleep.

Tanjirou finally arrived but there was no one to comfort. Zenitsu was asleep just like every other morning after training.

Tanjirou sighed. He should have known that Zenitsu would be taking a nap. It's been like that for five days already and Tanjirou just wants to spend time with a fully awake Zenitsu.

"Beggars can't be choosers, huh." Tanjirou muttered and sat down beside Zenitsu. He placed Zenitsu's head on his lap and ran his fingers through golden blond locks while humming an incredibly off tune lullaby.

Tanjirou smiled and continued humming as he thought of things. 'Nezuko spent her days sleeping. Zenitsu spent them worrying. And I spend my time training. Among the three of us, Zenitsu is the most troubled one. Worrying for Inosuke and waiting for any sign of his arrival, that sounds like someone waiting for their lover.'

With that thought in mind, Tanjirou's fingers unconsciously gripped Zenitsu's hair. A hand reached for Tanjirou's deathly grip and brought him back from his thoughts. "Oi, stop pulling on my hair, you talking forehead." Zenitsu glared and tried to roll away from Tanjirou.

Tanjirou's eyes widened as his hand hastily retreated back to his side. "I- I'm sorry!" Zenitsu sighed and rose up from his spot on Tanjirou's lap while glaring. "You should be. So? How was training?"

"Training went well. But since Inosuke isn't around, training finished earlier. I didn't get to spar though, Aoi is busy with laundry, Kanao isn't around, and you're tired. I don't want to burden you."

"How about a spar with Nezuko-chan? She can step out into the sun now..." Zenitsu trailed off and reminisced about when he first found out Nezuko's 'stepping into the sunlight' thing. He was so happy and the first thing he heard from her mouth was 'welcome back, Inosuke'. Infuriating.

While Zenitsu thought about various things, Tanjirou occupied himself with watching Zenitsu's expression change from one to another in a matter of seconds. It was funny.

"Don't worry, I'm here. I'll spar with you." Zenitsu suggested after thinking for a while. Tanjirou felt happy that he will get to spend time with Zenitsu. "Ok! Should we go now? Or maybe later?" Tanjirou asked. He shouldn't be overjoyed. But he was anyway.

"I took a nap just now didn't? We can go now." Zenitsu assured, rolling up his sleeves and proudly flexed his slightly toned biceps even though Tanjirou and Inosuke owned their own sets of even better ones.

Tanjirou chuckled at the scene and happily dragged Zenitsu to an empty field.

•••

Ey, this is a filler chapter and it's pretty short too. Can't really think of anything else to add and also because Inosuke will be back next chapter! HayuChan5 said I've been too into writing about Tanjirou and Zenitsu so I cut this chapter short. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

Edit: Jan. 15, 2021