Chapter 25

Marinette wasn't sure if she heard what she heard. 
    There were always pros and cons to every situation, but Marinette couldn't help but to always focus on the better side of things.

   On the pro side, Alya was going to be a mother, Marinette was going to be an aunt, and from the short time she knew Nino, she could already assume that he would be the happiest guy on the planet.
  Marinette couldn't understand the stress and complications of pregnancy, but she could clearly tell by the way it affected Alya that it was possibly a lot more than she could essentially handle.

   The young woman chewed on her bottom lip, her heart leaping in her chest as she reached over and placed her hand onto her shoulder.

   "Alya...I'm...just as shocked as you are," Marinette reiterated, feeling her friend tremble beneath her palms. "But...I promise it's going to be okay."

   Alya exhaled, shrugging Marinette's hand away from her shoulder with a grimace.
   "Marinette...its easy for you to say that. You're married, you have a stable job, stable income, a beautiful home...if you were in my shoes, it'd be completely different. I don't know if I have the monetary means to care for a child; I work at a bar..." the brunette stood up, running her hand through her hair anxiously. "How can a visibly pregnant woman work at a bar?!"

  Marinette widened her eyes, watching her friend with a grimace who began to pace back and forth.
   "What if I fail my child? What kind of mother would I be? What if I scare Nino away? What if this isn't what he wanted?" Alya rambled, the anxiousness permeating through her voice more evidently.

   "Alya," Marinette immediately interjected, standing up straight to place her hands on to Alya's shoulders to keep her still. "You know you would make an amazing mother. Hell, you're like a mother to me sometimes. I know without a doubt that you'd be a cool and caring mother..." Marinette blushed, the color contrasting against her freckles.

   "If I were to become pregnant by Adrien, it would be an entirely different story. Nino loves you, Alya - he would never just abandon you if you told him. Adrien doesn't love me, we dont have that close personal bond that you and Nino share..." Marinette explained. "You both have a mutual love and understanding for one another. The last thing you should do is push him away..."

   Alya shook her head, her eyes lowering to the ground.
"I felt like I had no choice. Who am I to just waltz into Nino’s life and bring him a baby? I know he's had plans, he has goals; none of which includes children...especially with me..." her voice trailed off.

   Marinette frowned, her heart sinking into her stomach as she could almost understand Alya's desire to isolate herself from everyone.

   "I know that surprises happen," Marinette murmured, her blue eyes glancing over towards Alya with a heavy heart. "But you know that I'll always be here for you. You'll always have a place to stay if need be. You could work at the bar until you need to take a break for when you grow a little bigger. You know Adrien and I wouldn't let you-"

    "Marinette, you can't tell anyone about this." Alya interjected, her eyes widening at the thought of everyone finding out about her pregnancy. "I'm not ready to tell Nino. I know that if I tell Adrien, he would tell Nino."
   Marinette frowned, pressing her lips together.

    "You know I wouldn't tell anyone if that's what you wanted." She breathed softly. "And I'm sure Adrien could keep a secret..."

    "It's not whether he could keep the secret...it's more of that it's my burden to bear." Alya interjected. "I know you guys wouldn't leave me in the dark with the baby. I've already decided that I would keep the child. I'm just scared shitless..."