twenty seven

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN:

SELF CONTROL

✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶

what are you supposed to do when someone who is heavily under the influence tells you that they love you?

do you: a, crash your car into the nearest tree to avoid any and all emotions; b, say it back even though you're not 100% sure if you mean it which could backfire terribly and you'd have to consider choosing a once again; or c, convince yourself that they didn't really mean it because the mixture of drugs and alcohol obviously left their brain fried and there is no way they could have consciously admitted to that right now.

choices a and b were out of the question for obvious reasons, but c-c seemed like the only rational choice. that was until they could talk about it-sober.

"come on fat head," noelia struggled to get nick from the car considering his sleeping form was now 100% dead weight, "you gotta help me or you're gonna be sleeping in the car."

sleepily nick reached out for her with his eyes still closed as if opening them would ruin his chances of falling back to sleep once he hit a bed. he wasn't completely coherent but it was enough to get his ass into the elevator and up to her apartment. after that, she would just have to drag him to her room.

pushing him onto her bed she shook her head as he immediately snuggled into her pillows a satisfied smile coming to his lips. in an attempt to make him more comfortable she took his shoes off placing them nicely beside the nightstand knowing how finicky he was about his sneakers. seeing how peacefully he slept did something to her that made her chest feel like someone was tickling at her sternum with a feather. not trying to be a joe and continue to watch him while he slept she pulled her duvet over him before gathering what she would need to sleep on the couch.

yes, the couch. they had slept in the same bed many times within the past few months but with how much of a mess things had become she figured sleeping together wouldn't be the greatest idea.

"so you picked him up?"

noelia nearly jumped out of her skin at the sound of yamelis' voice coming from the doorway of her own room.

"you almost gave me a heart attack," she mumbled hugging her throw blanket to her chest trying to avoid the slight judgey look in her best friend's eyes. "he was trippin' what did you want me to do? leave him there?"

the defensiveness in her tone was immediately detected by yamelis and she gave her that knowing look that most hispanic women got when they knew there was more to the story than what they were being told.

"como mami siempre decía," yamelis crossed her arms over her chest, "chancla que se tira, no se levanta de nuevo. don't keep playing with that boy if you don't know what you want because once he makes up his mind to move on you'll have no right to be upset."

it was nearly five o'clock in the morning and the last thing noelia wanted to be doing was arguing with yamelis over her relationship with nick. if there even was one at this point. she knew she was fucking up left and right she didn't need to constantly be reminded of that fact.

"i'm going to bed," she shuffled to the living room hearing a scoff from behind her as yamelis retreated back into her bedroom. tossing herself onto the couch she let out a deep groan as her phone vibrated on the coffee table. there were only a handful of people that would be texting her this late and she knew at least two of them were asleep in the other rooms.

the bright screen of her phone nearly blinded her before her eyes adjusted to see tyler's name across her screen with a generic 'you up?' text.

in the past couple of weeks, she had constantly used the word complicated to describe the situation she was in but it shouldn't have been because the answer was right in front of her.

she was just in every definition of the word a dumb bitch.

bri's bullshit:
okay, so for those of you who saw the author's note not too long ago you saw i asked if you guys would like a sequel to this. after some thinking i've come to the conclusion there will not be a sequel. that being said i have two more nick stories in my drafts if you guys want i can post snippets of the plot and stuff in the next chapter so you guys can pick which one comes out first.