Chapter 4

Izuku's POV~

The current AA's and our one DA, Mr. Aizawa, at the school bought us plane tickets to some place called Maine in the US. We were going to start there and make our way around to the rest of the country as needed. Apparently there wasn't anything actually happening in Maine, it was just supposed to be a check point for us.

I had said all my goodbyes to the class, but there was still one other person I had to see before leaving. In the short hour before I had to head to the airport with Todoroki, I had planned to go see my mother. A lot of Halves aren't close with their parents, human or otherwise, because the humans usually don't like the fact we're half Angel or in the worst case, Demon. It was always strange to me that even the human parents of Angel Halves resent them. You gave birth to an Angel, shouldn't that be the peak of your life? Your child's a literal Angel. Either way, my mother and I have always been close. She was the sweetest woman on Earth. If I didn't know any better, I would say she's my Angel parent. I haven't actually met my father. Halves usually don't until we die and go to Heaven. Demon Halves rarely meet their Demon parent.

"Ah, young Midoriya. Wait, where are you going? You have a plane to catch in an hour." All Might's voice sounded from behind me while I tried to slip out the front door unnoticed.

I flinched at his loud voice, but turned around so my back was to the door and I was facing him. "I wanted to say goodbye to my mother before I left. I still have an hour before I even have to be at the airport, so I didn't think it'd be a problem." I said while nervously fidgeting with my hands. I would have been crushed if I couldn't at least tell my mother goodbye. I could have always texted her if it was the worst case scenario, but it's not the same as saying it in person.

"Oh, I see. Take Todoroki with you. Then you two can just head to the airport right from your mother's house." He said, while turning to head off again. Like I stated earlier, we're short staffed on AA's and DA's right now, so the ones we have are almost always working.

I just stared as he walked away. I had to take Todoroki to my mother's house? He's was gonna hate me even more now.

I walked around the commons, trying to find him. I figured he'd be in there reading or something, but I couldn't fin him anywhere. I decided to go up to his dorm, the only other place he'd possibly be right now.

I made it to his room and was about to knock when I heard his voice. He seemed to be on the phone with someone. "Look, I know this isn't ideal, but I don't really have a choice." He said in a tired sounding voice.

"That's not gonna happen, don't worry."

"Why is that even a concern you have? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in weeks and I've been stuck with Angel Halves for two months." He let out a light chuckle and my heart nearly stopped at the sound. He actually laughed. I didn't know he was even capable of that.

"Fuyumi, it'll be fine. Just take care of mom, okay?" His voice was softer now. More caring, and maybe even a little scared.

"I don't care, it was years ago. It wasn't her fault and you know that. The sooner you stop blaming her for it, the easier it'll be. Seriously, I forgave her and I'm the one that was burnt."

'Is he talking about that huge scare he has on the left side of his face?' I thought to myself. Obviously no one knew where it had came from, he wouldn't tell us the time, let alone his tragic backstory.

"Yes, I promise to be safe."

"I'll come back in one piece, stop worrying."

"I can't promise that." His tone was one of annoyance.

"Fine, I promise the little angel will come back in one piece too." His voice was softer again. The same way it was when he was talking about his mom.

"Love you too. Bye."

'Oh crud, I should probably knock now, right?' I thought. I rapidly knocked, more nervous now than I was before.

He opened the door two seconds later, annoyance clear on his face. It seemed to disappear when he saw it was me and was replaced with a blank look. "What? We don't leave for another hour."

I avoided eye contact while I responded, "I-I wanted to go say g-goodbye to my mom, but- but All Might said I had- I had to take you with so we could leave right from her house. I totally get it if you don't want to. I can just call her or something to say goodbye, it's not a big deal. Sorry for even-" He put a hand over my mouth to silence me.

"Let me grab my bag, then we can leave." Was all he said, before turning and disappearing into his room. He returned a minute later with a duffel bag slung over his shoulder. "Well are you ready or what?" He asked me, breaking me out of my shocked state. I didn't think he'd agree to it.

"O-oh yeah, my stuffs by the door, so I can just grab it as we leave. Let's go." I mumbled, walking towards the elevator. The ride to the main floor was silent, and so was the walk out the door. Our classmates had to actually go to class today, so they were all gone by the time we left.

"How far away does she live?" He asked as we started our walk down the sidewalk.

"She actually lives closer to the airport than UA, so we don't have to go out of our way to get there." I said, a little happy that I wasn't making this little side trip a huge inconvenience.

Neither of us spoke again until we made it to my mother's house. I was a little nervous about Todoroki meeting my mother, but I couldn't tell if it was because of him or her. We made it up the front stairs and to the front door. I knocked lightly, hoping she was actually home today. I was relieved when she opened the door a minute or two later and threw her arms around me in a hug. "Izuku! What brings you here? Don't you have class today?" She asked while pulling away from me and finally noticing the Demon Halve standing slightly behind me. She didn't know his Halve status though, we had our extra appendages retracted. Do they even count as appendages? Oh well.

"Who's this?" She asked smiling brightly at Todoroki, who just managed a small half smile in return. I was still stunned that he even tried. Maybe he wasn't just a jerk after all.

"This is Todoroki, he's the top Demon Halve in my year. We got partnered up to go on a mission in America." I said, wincing a little bit when I told her about the mission. I could tell that he was uncomfortable when I told my mom that he was a Demon Halve, but I knew she wouldn't care. I mean Kacchan is a Demon Halve and she's been like a second mom to him his whole life.

"What?! But you're both so young! When do you leave?" She asked frantically.

I nervously scratched the back of my neck. "Yeah, that's what I came here to talk to you about."