XXIX. faith: ایمان

"I'm okay." She reassured her older brother, forgetting and completely baffled how did they live apart for so many years without reaching out to even ask. But then again they both relied on one man in silence, her husband. Her husband who carried the burden of their silence for so many years, yet he kept them all sane, in one way or the other.

"Has Kabir reached out to you? He is in Felbar."

"Yeah. He called and came by earlier, said he is gonna visit Exeter in few days. He's got some business and all to catch up on here."

"Ok." Her brother went quiet for a minute or two before continuing. "Come home soon okay? I need to see you in one piece-"

"Let me talk to her!"

She held the phone as they heard commotion on the other end of it. Rabail Noor, as usual, was two steps ahead of her husband.

"AYLA!"

She pulled away the phone from herself. Zach shook his head, an amused smile broke on his lips. His eyes were closed as he reeled into the bliss of calm and peace. His head was in her lap while she sat against the bedhead. She had her fingers in his damp hair. He had taken a shower and found his way back in bed, putting his head on her lap as she talked to her brother. The refuge he had found in her arms had been the balm to the gaping hole in his heart, caused by the separation of last Eleven years. He thought he would never be able to heal, but here he was more at peace than ever.

"ARE YOU OKAY? DID SHE HURT YOU?"

"I'm okay, Rabail. She didn't do anything severe. Rayyan had her before anything happened. They took her to the Prison."

"YOU LET HER GO?"

"Babe, you don't have to shout." Asfandyar's voice barely made it through the speaker.

"I would have held by her hair and dragged her to the prison while ripping her head bald."

"Wow. I didn't really think of that. I should've texted you before." Ayla laughed, her husband joined in along with her. "I'll definitely take you to the court."

"Make sure you get a good lawyer. Your husband is a fake lawyer. I swear I have never seen him work. I'm sure he bought his degree. Such a shame to Wahab family." Ayla indulged in another laugh, much more carefree and full of life.

"I think you might be on to something here. I actually haven't seen him either." She ruffled his hair, laughing more at his pouting expressions.

"NOOR! You'll be getting a notice from the court for instigating my wife against me and for defamation." He opened his eyes narrowing at Ayla, she bent down, kissing his nose, yet that amuse filled smile was playing on her lips.

"It's not instigation or defamation if it's a fact." Her cheeky voice blared through the phone.

"Now we will only meet through the court. Bye!" He cut the call, but he sighed in content as he watched Ayla laugh as the happiness came alive in her eyes. He'd never thought they'd see each other again like this, so joyful and serene. "It's a miracle to see you like this."

Her gaze fell on him, she continued running her hands through the darkness of his hair, almost as if her fingers were drumming in his hair as she hummed.

"Amma said our relationship was always synonymous with pain. She said we have to remind ourselves that it's not, live for subtle moments so we realize that we are much more than our pain. She was right. This right here, just being with you, it's so simple yet it feels like it's beyond magical." His eyes were brimming with equal happiness. It was hard to not regret so many of the steps they had taken, but it was easier to remind himself she was here, she was happy, he was happy, they were together and that's all that mattered.