I.

This is based on the maze runner but I know is definitely something different, so hope you don't mind.  

(Alex's POV)  

It was a lazy morning and since I didn't have to work yet I was sitting under a tree reading a book when the greenie siren went off. Here's the drill, once a month, a new boy arrives in the box with his memory wiped. The only difference is that I'm the only girl. The siren finally stopped blaring after two full minutes. Everybody stopped what they were doing and gathered around the box, but not me. Of course, I was curious but since I've seen the process before with Chuck's arrival, yes... the chubby guy with freckles all over, I decided to ignore it and tried to concentrate on my book. Tried.

I was reading the same sentence repeatedly, not being able to comprehend a single word so I decided to take a quick look at the scene that was taking place in front of me. From a distance I could see that the boy that just came out from the box was being dropped to the ground face down. I'd say he was about 16 years old, 5 ft. 9 in, pale skin, brown hair, and... that's all I can say about him.

He stood up with a start looking around wildly, as if he was searching for an exit, when suddenly he pushed through the crowd of Gladers and started running away.

I almost feel sorry for this guy. Yes, I know what it's like. I know what it's like to be scared; we all came through the box.

''We got a runner!''

I sighed and snap my book close heading towards the new meat. Unsurprisingly, with a flick of his legs, he came tumbling down, landing hard and rolling across the floor stopping just in front of me. With my gaze still on the boy I knelt down beside him and held out my right hand.

''Nice landing, greenie" I said sarcastically.

Still on the ground he looked up at me with confusion written on his face.

''Welcome to the Glade''.

The greenie slowly reached to take my hand and got up as he tries to wipe the dirt off his clothes and face. I noticed Alby, and Newt, were heading towards us with the other Gladers following on their tails.

''What is this place?'' The new green bean asked glancing at the gray stone walls that were covered with thick ivy.

Newt looked at Alby, the dark-skinned boy, waiting for a reaction. ''Where am I?''

''Nowhere good. Name's Alby and this blonde here is Newt, second-in-command.'' Alby extended his hand for him to shake but the new guy refused.

Instead, he just looked him over, scrutinizing. '' the girl who just helped you out is Alex.'' The greenie's dark brown eyes snapped up to look into my bright brown ones for a moment and then looks away. There was something peculiar about this boy and I didn't know which I felt more strongly- curiosity to find out what or dread at finding out.

''Where am I? Who sent me here? How'd-'' He demanded and Alby sighed, annoyed.

''The Glade. This is where we live, where we eat, where we sleep- we call ourselves the Gladers.'' Alby explained with a bored tone in his voice.

''C'mon Alby, give the new kid a break'' I chuckled crossing my arms.

''I don't un-''

Suddenly Alby's hand shot up grabbing his shirt as he leaned forward. ''Listen greenie-''

Right away, Newt jumped in and placed a hand in Alby's chest. After a couple of seconds Alby let go of Thomas's shirt and stepped back.

''I'm not saying another word'' Alby replied, authority filling his voice. Then he turned and pushed his way through the crowd saying to himself ''Man I am not good at this''

I knew he was only acting this way because of how tired he was, he's the one who explains everything whenever a new greenie comes through the box, and repeating himself all the time was tiring. Just by being the leader it's a lot of pressure.

Newt clapped Thomas in his shoulder as Thomas tried to smooth his shirt with his shaky hands. '' Look, I know it's all very confusing but-- what you're feeling, we've all felt it. We've all had First Day, we've all came through the box.''

''Do you remember anything?'' I asked him. He responded with a single nodded of his head.

''My name... my name is Thomas.''

"Nice to meet ya', shank," Newt said ''Well, best be quiet now. Chuck will be a good fit for you. He'll be the one to show you around. He'd been here a whole month, and he already knows the place inside and out.''

Newt turned to look at me ''Find Chuck, tell him he's in charge of Thomas sleeping arrangements''

I nodded. "Good that."

''Everybody get back to work''. Newt called out. The Gladers listened and went away into different directions. And then Newt headed in direction to the Homestead leaving me alone with Thomas.

''You can count on Chuck, okay?''

It didn't take long till I caught sight of Chuck and he waved in response, walking towards us. You see, Chuck is about twelve or thirteen years old. He is short and pudgy, with long brown hair and blue eyes on a flabby face.

'' Well greenie, as I said before...welcome to the glade. This is Day One for you. Night will be falling soon, so there's not time for the Tour. Tomorrow morning right after wake-up I'll be your tour guide''

Thomas nodded.

''I'm glad I'm not the greenie anymore." Chuck said, grinning from ear to hear.

Ruffling his curls, I let out a chuckle ''Well, now you're in charge of Thomas sleeping arrangements''

A sudden, piercing scream ripped through the air. Thomas turned to look toward the source but I already knew who it was.

"What's going on over there?" he asked, pointing at the building.

"Don't know," chubby boy replied; his voice still carried the high pitch of childhood. "Ben's in there, sicker than a dog. They got him."

"Shuck," I groaned. ''Time to go back to work''

"They...?" Thomas didn't like the way Chuck had said the word.

''Don't worry about it greenie. I must go, good luck, Chuck'' I smiling a little bit to the chubby side-kick. ''Show him around a bit''

And then I turned and headed in the direction of the building, running. I came up to the second door and walked through the door.

I hope you liked it shanks! Please tell me what you think, and let me know if I should continue. Thanks :)