Chapter 9:

I stayed there as Ben started clinging to my shirt while sobbing uncontrollably and pleading and begging with his eyes.  I didn't even look him in the eye. 

:Flashback:

"What?"

Words slowly fell from Chuck, in between his gasps for breath. "Ben ... Ben ... he isn't ... dead."

"What?"

"He ... isn't dead. Baggers went to get him ... arrow missed his brain ...''

End of Flashback

"Stop them! Help me! Please'' Ben said, his voice rising in desperation.

''Okay that's enough!'' said Alby.

Three gladers appeared, and took Ben off from me dragging him away.

''Ben of the builders, you've been sentenced to Banishment for the attempted murder of Thomas''

Newt stepped up to Alby and handed over the end of the pole he was holding. Thomas could see the strange attachment now. A loop of rough leather, fastened to the metal with a massive staple. A large button snap revealed that the loop could be opened and closed, and its purpose became obvious.

It was a collar.

"No, no, no, no, no,"

 ''The Keepers have spoken, and their word ain't changing. And you ain't coming back. Ever." A long pause. "Keepers, take your place on the Banishment Pole."

"Pllllleeeeeeeeease! Somebody, help me! You can't do this to me!"

"Shut up!" Alby roared and unbuttoned the collar, then wrapped it around Ben's neck.

"Keepers, now!" Alby shouted.

 Then everything became muffled. Benn's cries became muffled. Part of me wanted to step back, turn around and walk away but I couldn't.  I looked out across the crowd sneaking one glance at Thomas. He was watching the scene with wide eyes. He shifts his gaze and looks straight at me. I nodded, letting him know it was okay and that we had made the right decision.

 "Noooooooooo!" Ben's final screams were cut off when the walls closed with a terrible boom.

 Thomas squeezed his eyes shut and I hoped all of this would go away.