Chapter 11:

(Alex's POV)

I was finishing cleaning a head wound of a lousy glader who was working with the builders. I thought I had finished my job back there with Thomas when a wooden wall fell on a glader leaving him almost unconscious, he was lucky it didn't kill him. I had just finished bandaging the guy up when I heard yelling coming from outside. I got out of the Homestead and saw a crowd around the east opening of the maze. This has never happened before so I went to investigate. As I got closer the people around me kept shooting and yelling.

''What's going on?'' Peering over the heads of the people I saw Newt pacing and running his hands through his hair.

Newt? 

Growing desperate I stepped forward pushing through the crowd of people and gasp when I found Minho struggling to carry an unconscious Alby a hundred feet away. The walls were rapidly closing and I shook my head. I didn't even want to think about if Minho and Alby were to get stuck in the Maze alone with the grievers. The chances were zero to none. Alby had slipped out of Minho's clutches and fallen to the ground. My heart ached as I watched Minho desperately tried to get him back to his feet after giving up and began to drag the boy across the floor.

''Shouldn't we do something?" I yelled at Newt.

Then a flicker of movement caught my eyes. Thomas. Thomas and I looked at each other, and then he looked inside the Maze then back at me again.

''Thomas?'' Suddenly realizing what he was contemplating, ''don't do it Thomas!''

Catching the attention of the other gladers, Newt shouts, ''don't you bloody do it!''

"No!" I screamed, lunging towards as I weaved my way through the crowd trying to stop him. But before I could he slid into the maze. All the boys tried to grab him but failed. So I automatically went after him but only to be pulled back by Gally.  

''Let go of me! Newt! Do something!'' Gally had an arm wrapped around my waist from behind and lifted me from the ground, carrying me back. My legs kicked the air trying to get free. As I was being dragged away further back I saw the walls slid shut.

 ''THOMAS!!!''

...