12. Lonely Beats

Beginning of Part 2

(POV: Grunt)

Boom, boom, clash, bang. I span my way through the corridors drumming to the song in my heart, clanging saucepans and knocking on every door.

I'll admit: I was in some sort of cycle of insanity. But, can you blame me? It had been days since I had last seen my friends, the last memory I had been the destruction of the Dark Moon with Plug. Suddenly, BOOM, I was no longer there and rather in some chaos driven the world of madness. There were no signs of Plug or Rob.

My mind went back to times before I met them: happy times. I used to make my message to the world - my song - using my surroundings. It wasn't a plan, but a stroke of genius when it comes to distracting myself from whatever party was going on outside.

And so there I was, Grunt in Evershade Valley. Playing my heart out to those who chose to listen.

The numbers kept rising on the clocktower. The great clocktower which stood proudly in the centre of Evershade Valley. Time was moving on and I was all alone. Never would a ghost talk to me anymore. Never. At least, that was the case until I met her.

Clannnnng. The noise echoed as I finished my masterwork for the day in whichever mansion I was in (I didn't often care). As memories began to flood back into my head, I began to feel an itch. I moved both of my hands to my back. Ugh! The feeling felt familiar, almost like there was someone touching me-

Crash, boom, bang, tap, tap, clash. Another day, another beat. I was never good with numbers, but even I could tell the greatly increasing time in which I had not seen my friends. I didn't know where they were, nor whether they know how to find me. I wanted to see them. They'd have known what to do. Right?

I continued my beat until I stopped after sudden off-putting smoke began to reach me in the current corridor I was producing classical beats in. There was a light shining through the dense fog and I, slowly, forced myself to investigate.

Inside the bundle of fear, I could see nothing that resembled a corridor. All I could see was endless fog which was only pierced by a shining cyan light, which began to take shape. As I reached the source of the light, the lack of music in my mind allowed the entry of memories. Fog. Cyan?

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" A deep voice echoed from all directions as I was pinned against the wall. This felt familiar, I thought to myself, though I knew something was different somehow. The voice, whilst deep and booming, seemed to have an undertone of a much less deep voice.

"I-I'm sorry!" I shouted into the fog. The grip on the wall seemed to slowly slip away as the fog began to clear. And once it was gone, all that was left in the middle of the corridor was a little girl in her pyjamas crouched on the floor crying quietly.