Chapter 6-The hospital

• Dedicated to Ashley

 I raced in through the glass doors of Prince Alfred Hospital. I looked around bewildered and assessing my surroundings. I wandered towards the front desk, my head still spinning. 

“How can I help you dear?”

“Hunter, Jake Hunter please.” 

I looked around, trying to identify anyone I knew. They could not know I was here.

A FEW MINUTES LATER:

“Excuse me, EXCUSE ME!” the nurse exclaimed annoyingly.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?”

“Room 5 4 6 dear.” She sighed while flipping through the patients records.

“Thank you!” I yelled as I ran down the hall. I couldn’t count how many shhhhhhs I received. 

 I raced up 5 flights of stairs, no time for elevators when there is an emergency, they take to long. As I approached the room, I slowed down to a walking pace. I pressed my head against the window, trying to look for Jake. When I saw him, I gasped.

He had all these tubes attached to him. I looked the other way, I couldn’t bear the sight anymore. I stumbled down the hall to the elevator. I suddenly felt guilty, I couldn’t leave him there by himself in that state. What if this is the last time I see him? I headed back to the room, reflecting on all the good times we shared together. Our trip to my holiday house, his birthday, my birthday, that time I met his parents (not a good day for us…) and many more. I rested my head on the door, wondering whether I should go in or not. I turned the handle and opened the door a crack. Suddenly, a doctor came around the corner. I closed the door and walked in the other direction. 

"Were you in that room? Room 5 4 6?”

"No, what do you mean?"

"Family only."

"But i'm his girlfriend. That should count!"

"No, just leave."

"But I-"

"NOW!!!"

“Okay,” I sob, “I’m leaving.”

As I left, the doctor turned the other way. It wasn’t fair for him to treat me like that. I don’t listen to people who disrespect me! I waited until he was gone, then I tiptoed back to Jakes room, opened the door and walked over to him. Then I saw it… 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

I raced down the stairs two at a time, my face hot and flushed from running. I busted through the doors and ran across the road without looking and nearly got run over by a 4WD. As I slipped my phone out of my pocket, I dropped it in the gutter, my body just wouldn’t stop trembling. 

“Damn you Lil!” I cursed to myself as I picked up my phone and dialled Steph’s number. 

“Come on Steph!” I screamed into the phone when she didn’t pick up. 

I rang her number again and she picked up on the 4th ring.

“Hey!” She screamed into the phone, making my ears ring. 

“Can you come and pick me up from Prince Alfred Hospital ASAP?” I said, my voice cracking.

“Sure, i’ll be about…5 minutes away! That good?”

“Sure." I said unassuringly. "Thanks Steph, bye.” I whispered before bursting into tears, tears of happiness, knowing I have a friend there at the ready to call upon, a friend who I can trust. 

***********************************************************************************************************************

I stood up when I saw Steph. I raced over and  gave her a hug while I balled my eyes out on her shoulder.

"Hey, Lil what's wrong?"

"It's Jake."

"What happened?!"

“He was in an accident yesterday morning. It involved one other car. He’s in a coma and the doctors don’t think he will make it out alive.” She grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eyes. 

“He is going to be ok and you are going to be ok, got that?” She said as she wiped my eyes with her hand.

“Yes” I whispered. “Steph,”

“Yes Lil?”

 “His face Steph, it is unrecognisable.” I burst into tears once again.