chapter 33

Basmah.

"Ohkay you need to calm down please stop panicking Its going to be alright, you gotta stop crying, ya Juhaifa wont leave you in sha Allah" Hauwa was all kinds of hysterical when she called me to tell what that human of a scum told her the other day, she was broken into pieces and ya Juhaifa closed off and turned cold. It was at that time that he knew it was her ex fiance Hamza who did the deed. Hauwa didnt tell him and he didnt ask, but seeing reaction gave it away yaya was already willing to forgive and forget. Hamza broke off the engagement two days after he slept with Hauwa since he haa gotten what he wanted why waste time and money?

I was skeptical when i was told what Hamza texted, i mean how could he, i dont think it could be possible for Hauwa to have anything because they ended things like two years ago and Hamza is someone who sleeps around. but who knew for how long he carried it, and why would he be telling her now, obviously its recent.

Two days later I was with Hauwa at the clinic waiting for results of all the tests she took of almost every Std she knew existed. She was paranoid and i do see her reasons for being. I couldnt possibly judge or blame her. she didnt let any of her family members hear of it and only i can see just how much weight she lost in these couple of days. The very day Hamza made his statement ya Juhaifa dropped her at a clinic after she asked him to do so, he drove off not even sparing her a glance after. He went mute, not talking to me or her and when he had to he kept the conversation short and to the point. I didnt need anyone to tell me Hauwa was crumbling inside.

I on the other hand have been eyeing the tens of missed calls i collectively got from Taheer Maryam and Jamal. They have been texting me and i couldnt even get myself to reply to any for 3 days now. And for the 100th time i question myself for having to be so empathetic to almost everyone. The other day Jamal put me on the phone to talk to his Mum and even though it was through a phone i was shy and could have blushed pink if i was pale skinned, she sounded very nice and loving and i understood where all the love i got from Jamal comes from.
The good not so great news was Jamal telling me that his father wants to see me. Imagine that. Never heard of a father wanting to meet a potential daughter in law. I dont even know how to cope with all this, I am not ready to deal with all of this at this point.

"Miss Hauwa Muaz right?" A nurse approached us and Hauwa nodded. She got up and the long grey hijab she was wearing hit the floor and she extended her hands out to collect the envelop

"Here is your results" the lady said with a small smile and adjusted her eyeglasses. She handed it to her and pulled her synthetic hair behind her ear. We thanked her and got out to my car.

"Well open it" i said after we entered. to say i was anxious is an understatement, maybe more anxious than the Hauwa herself. like how are you suppose to react in a life and death situation cause this is literally life and  death.

Hauwas lips trembled as she stared at the brown envelop, i turned the ignition but didnt quite yet start the car, the air conditioner was on and my phone automatically connected to the Bluetooth.

She ripped the envelop almost too gently and i had to keep myself from almost yanking it out of her hand to see for myself

"Am clean" she said with eyes glued to the paper, it registered in my brain and i managed to utter a series of Alhamdulillahs, i  look to her to see that it hasnt registered in hers

"You're clean!" I yelled

She looked at me and blinked twice before i see the words sink into her as she took deep breaths, not even two seconds later she had tears rolling down, i too felt like crying aswell but i gotta remain the strong one. Atleast for her.