Whirly Girly

Chapter 7:

Whirly Girly

The next few days were rocky. Fortunately, Emily started to improve with the antibiotics. Alison tried to get her to talk more about the situation at the bar, but Emily shut down.

It was frustrating, but Alison knew it was all a part of it. At the very least, Emily was still alive. She even took some initiative to live by going out to a dance club with Hanna and Mona to celebrate Mona's release from the mental health facility. Alison had been worried about how Emily would do with the crowds and the noise, but Emily told her everything would be fine.

Emily walked up to the club with Alison by her side. She tried not to hover near Alison when they went out together, but when they were in a crowd of people it was just a natural reflex. Alison didn't mind. She was actually more preoccupied with the fact that she was going out to party with people she was counseling. She was certain that it was some kind of breach in the code of ethics.

"This is a terrible idea." Alison rustled around in her pocket for her ID as they neared the front door.

"Oh, relax."

"It's horribly unorthodox. It's unethical."

"You say all the time that we're all just people, right?"

"Yeah, but..."

"You're always on me about getting out there and living. You should practice what you preach."

"I wasn't even invited. I was your plus one." She sounded like a petty high schooler, but she didn't care.

Emily saw the frustrated look on her face. It made her smile. Over the course of the past few weeks she'd really started to pay attention to the little things about the blonde. She was adorable when she was mad.

"Mona said she just forgot. Don't be so dramatic, Ali. Of course they want you here."

Alison stopped when they got to the door. She handed the bouncer her driver's license. He looked it over.

Emily looked around for the closest exit as they stepped forward. She made eye contact with the bouncer. She handed him her ID, hoping against hope he wouldn't say anything. He looked the ID over carefully, scrutinizing the details. He stared at Emily's picture and then looked at her.

Don't. She begged in thought.

The bouncer smiled at her.

"Hey, happy birthday."

Shit.

"It's your birthday?" Alison's eyes lit up. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Didn't feel like celebrating being born.

"Can we not make a whole thing of this? Tonight is about Mona."

"We could make it a double celebration." Alison was so very annoyingly thoughtful. She was very type A. It drove Emily mad sometimes. "We could at least get you a cake or something..."

Emily cringed. Birthdays only served as a reminder that her family was dead. Her brother wasn't around anymore to shove cake in her face. Her sister wasn't around to make her have a stupid birthday tea party. Her mom wasn't around to bake her favorite cookies. Her dad wasn't around to give her piggyback rides.

"I said drop it, Alison." Emily grumbled gruffly.

Alison didn't miss the expression on her face. Before she could reply they heard someone calling to them from across the dance floor.