The Art of Life

Chapter 21:

The Art of Life

Emily's recovery took months. She hadn't had a typical transplant. She'd had a lot of complications after the surgery. Her body still had a lot of healing to do. It wasn't easy. They had a lot of setbacks. The hardest thing was trying to get the right balance of her medications.

Through it all she worried about Alison's mental and physical health. She constantly had to remind Alison that she needed to take care of herself, too. Alison was still healing from her injuries. And she was suffering from anxiety.

They were both talking to professionals about their mental health. It was hard for Alison to be on the opposite side of things. She was so used to giving the advice. It was hard for her to take it.

Emily could always tell when Alison was frustrated. She could always tell what Alison was feeling. And even when she was drugged up she had a natural inclination to take care of Alison.

One afternoon Alison had barely gotten a foot into Emily's room before Emily sensed her anxiety.

"I know that look." Emily sat up in her bed. She moved over, something she routinely did to gave Alison enough room to scoot in next to her. "Bad session?"

Alison didn't say anything. She was always afraid that saying anything about what had happened would trigger Emily. Emily could tell she was holding back.

"You can talk to me." The brunette reached out, extending her hand for Alison to take it.

"I just...I don't like to talk about any of it." Alison crawled next to Emily. Snuggling was a lot easier now that Alison's cast was off. "It's not like anyone can understand what it was like out there...what it was like watching him hurt you..."

They both flinched.

"I know," Emily replied softly. "It was hell for me, too."

"More-so for you. Because he did that to you your whole life. Honestly, I don't know how you're still standing."

"I'm technically sitting." Emily wrapped her arm around Alison's shoulder.

"You're not supposed to deflect." Alison frowned. "I want you to talk to me, too."

"You know how I feel." She rubbed Alison's arm. "I'm still fucked up. Less so. But I'm always going to be like this. I'm always going to struggle. It's..." Emily had to stop to take a breath. She had to calm her racing thoughts, "...what happened...it's a part of me. But it doesn't have to define how I live my life. I get to choose what I want to do. He's gone now. I don't want him to keep this hold over me...over us. We deserve better. I just...I don't know how to do better. I never thought I'd make it this far. It's so weird. I've never belonged anywhere."

"Hey," Alison balanced herself on her elbow, running her hand up Emily's cheek. She used her fingers to gently push Emily's face up to meet her gaze. "You belong, Em. You belong with me."

"Yeah." Emily smiled. "You made that perfectly clear the night we met. You sank your teeth into me and refused to let go."

"I don't recall any biting until our first session." Alison winked.

"You knew how much you had a hold on me, didn't you?"

"I think I did." Alison nodded, burying her head against the crook of Emily's neck. "I saw something in you when you came into the group session. And then when we were alone...I just...I felt it."

"You felt my hands..." Emily playfully moved her fingers against Alison's outer thigh, "My fingers..."

"I felt a lot of you that day." Alison smirked. "When you touched me..." Her face relaxed into a state of bliss, "...you do things to me. Things I can't explain. There was something in your motions...in the way you looked at me." She touched Emily's hand. "I was yours."