Unsteady

A/N: Emily's past will be explored in depth very soon (appreciate the patience). The scene with her dad dying was hard enough, but the rest of her story is a very bitter pill to swallow. I just wanted to forewarn you. We're not there yet. But it's going to come out of left field in the most painful way.

***

Chapter 11:

Unsteady

Alison awoke at 5:30 that morning to Emily thrashing wildly in her sleep. Emily rolled to her side and screamed as she sharply brought her knee up, catching Alison in the stomach and chest.

It nearly knocked the wind out of her.

Alison rolled over to try and give her a wide berth. She sat up and clutched her stomach, trying to catch her breath. She had forgotten how much it hurt to get hit that hard. She could feel every muscle and nerve ending, especially in her boobs.

"ETHAN! HELP!" Emily screamed, her neck snapping back violently. She choked on her words.

Alison felt the bed sway and she looked down and saw Lupo standing at the foot of the bed where the comforter was bunched up.

Alison ordered him to stay and he immediately stopped. She could only imagine what having a large dog hovering over her would do for Emily's mental state.

"Run!" Emily continued to writhe uncontrollably.

Alison saw her breathing pattern change. It was like something was hurting her. Something was killing her. Her cheeks were starting to turn red.

"Emily?" Alison asked in alarm. She gently stroked Emily's sweaty cheek. "Hey, it's just a dream..."

Alison tried to steady her, but when she reached out, Emily's hand flew up towards her face and struck her in the nose.

She felt a burning pain and then a wetness coating her fingers. The bandages on Emily's knuckles did nothing to lessen the blow. The power behind her punches was astounding. Alison held her palm underneath her nose to try and stop the blood from going everywhere. She felt several warm droplets land against her bare chest. She felt the hot coppery tasting substance draining down her throat.

Emily was still swinging wildly. Her back was stiff and she looked like she was trying to fight someone, like her life was at stake. And she looked like she was in terrible pain. Sweat was dripping down her face.

"Please..." Emily begged in her sleep. "Please...take me. Please take me."

"Emily," Alison said, careful to avoid her punches. She saw the brunette's jaw tighten, but Emily slowed in her fight stance. "I want you to listen to the sound of my voice. Whatever nightmare you're having, it is going to end. I'm here. Just know that I'm here."

Emily was shaking so violently that the bed was vibrating underneath her.

Alison stared at her in concern. She looked pale. Her lips looked white. Her skin was starting to tinge blue. She was holding her breath.

"For God's sake, breathe." Alison begged.

Emily didn't respond. Alison started to panic, because...shit...her chest wasn't moving and she was going limp. Was she having a heart attack?

"Fuck."

Alison's self-preservation instincts flew out the window. She leaned over her and pressed her fingers against Emily's neck, checking for her pulse. It was erratic. If she wasn't having a heart attack, she was well on her way to having one.