enter, sandman

𝐌𝐘 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 the window to my lap as Milly made her way onto my legs, purring all the way and digging her soft paws and sharp claws into my thighs. The pain was a relief, because I was beginning to feel a different sort of pain as we pulled into the parking lot of the institution. Pain in my heart from arriving at my destination. I had gotten bored after deciding I'd run away after getting here, so I had allowed myself to doze off and be lulled to sleep by the car's motor, but only for a short while as we had gotten here pretty fast.

The hospital's sign had vines encasing it, little flower buds lining the stone nooks with engraved letters that might have well said, Welcome to Horror Land - The horrors being worse than green monsters that wondered what you tasted like. No, instead there was human beings that maybe wondered what you tasted like. The scariest part being that they might even be crazy enough to find out. The thought of being part of this world was an exhausting one. I knew I probably belonged here, but that didn't mean I wanted to be here.

So what I had shot my dad? There was people out there who probably did much worse. No, I knew there was people out there who did much worse. There just wasn't people out there that did anything about it.

"Alright, kiddo. Let's go." Morgan said, putting the car in park and unlocking the doors.

Sighing, I gently lifted my orange kitten and carried her in my arms to the place that would be my new home for awhile.

But if my plan went well, it might not be.

Already, there was a woman and man in white jackets and nurses shoes waiting by the door. I scowled. Just what I needed, to move from a police babysitter to nurse babysitters.

"Hi, Janie." The woman said, a forced smile stretching on her cheeks. She had a bit of red lipstick on her teeth, probably from reapplying only moments before my arrival to maybe show off. Or because she knew she'd be standing with the man next to her, whose eyes weren't on my face, but a few feet lower.

I growled before I realized he was just looking at Milly. I silently apologized in my head, but still decided to keep an eye on him.

When I didn't respond for a moment to the nurse, she took my silence and went with it, which I was a little thankful for.

"I'm Fawn. I'm in charge of you while you stay with us, for however long that may be. This is Thomas." She waved her hand at the black haired man standing beside her, whose hazel eyes slowly climbed up to mine as he inclined his head in hello.

I peered a little closer. He wasn't really a man at all. In fact, Fawn wasn't even really a woman. They both looked a couple years older than me. In their twenties, actually. So I was being babysat by my own peers. At first, the thought made me mad, but then I remembered my intentions at staying here for 'as long as that may be' weren't actually going to be long at all.

While the pair talked to Morgan, done with me, for now, I took a moment to examine them and the place.

Fawn had rose colored hair to her mid back, not quite completely red but almost like a deer hide. She had slightly tan skin with freckles dotting her small nose and eyelashes that were actually the same color as her hair, which was definitely interesting. Small, plump red lips that helped her hair pop out and strangely enough, amber eyes. The color of amber that freezes insects forever. When her eyes met mine, I felt a shiver, afraid that I too would be frozen for eternity. But no, she lifted the corners of her mouth in a small smile and I tilted my head, realizing she might be too bad. I liked looking at her face - weird, I know, but it was different, in a pretty way.

Thomas looked a little typical, but he was a handsome typical. Black hair that fell straight onto hazel eyes and fair skin to make the white of his uniform look a little crisper. I could see how Fawn might want to impress him, but she seemed a little too exotic for his bland features. Perhaps it was his personality. I made a mental note to find out.

Bored with my company and sensing a stressing kitty in my arms, I changed her position to hold her under the stomach, back paws on my palm, petting her and offering soothing words. Now I took the time to look at the hospital. Though the sign seemed ancient, the place itself seemed a little modern. 

What I liked the most, straight off the bat, were the glass windows. Almost everywhere I looked there was a certain transparency with people walking across the halls and tables and chairs set up in certain rooms. It was a two story, white brick, lush filled, green place. With the sun streaming through the windows and offering the inside a warm, orange and red, happy vibe, I felt a little at peace at maybe staying here.

Not for long, I reminded myself.

"Do you like it?" I heard a timid voice ask, and I looked to my left to see Thomas looking at me with quizzical eyes.

I didn't respond, automatically. I wanted to seem as if I was thinking about it.

"Sure, it's alright. I haven't even gone inside yet, though." I decided to answer honestly, lifting Milly up and kissing her behind the ear, if only to seem a sweet, innocent victim.

Thomas wasn't fooled and offered a raised eyebrow as if to say, as if. Taking a step beside me, he suddenly looked at the place as if he was looking at it for the first time.

"My favorite part is the sun through the windows. It makes the place feel less like a hospital and more like a home." He explained, and I felt my cheeks tinge a little at how awkward it was for him to open that up to me. Maybe it was his personality Fawn liked.

Right then, Fawn came up and gave me another smile.

"We're all good to go! Are you ready to go inside?" She asked, looking between Thomas and me and forcing another smile. I rolled my eyes. I was the new, demented piece of meat. She had nothing to worry about. At least, I hoped she wasn't worried about me.

I nodded and almost took a step towards the sliding doors when I remembered Morgan.

Turning around, I took a deep breath and prepared myself to say goodbye. Why I felt it necessary to say goodbye, I wasn't sure, but here I was.

Before I could even release a word, she held up her hand to stop me.

"I'll be seeing you around, no doubt, so no need for tears. I have a feeling I'll be back, though hopefully not. Just stay out of trouble, and stay here. Don't give up on it before you've tried it." She advised, and I frowned, liking her a little less for thinking she knew what I was up to. Which she did, but still.

I nodded and turned my back on her. I didn't know her that well to do anything else.

Two nurses and one narcotic walked into a bar, I thought, laughing to myself. The laugh drew attention to me and Fawn gave a little gasp when she finally noticed what was in my arms. Either my laugh or Milly's meow to be let down, but nonetheless, she noticed.

"You know you can't keep him, right? We'll have to take him." Fawn said slowly, eyeing the ball of fur now clawing my shirt.

"Right. Him is a her, by the way. And I'd like to see you try." I replied, grinning my craziest grin.

Behind me, I heard Morgan laugh.