new minds: part one

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐔𝐏 the next morning to the birds chirping outside my window and the green of the trees reminding me of Noah's eyes, I woke instead to Fawn's amber gaze and almost screamed my lungs out and took off for the hills.

Though tempting, I chose to unnecessarily and excessively yawn loudly in her face and roll over to face the wall, all while snuggling in closer to my pillow.

Of course, this was just a facade, because the truth was that I was terrified. What could she possibly be doing here on my second day, besides creepily watching me sleep?

Only one idea came to mind - she knew. Avery had told her or the cameras had shown me walking away or Noah had, in fact, told the police that a crazy girl was at the town square and he had to trick her with his charm so she wouldn't go on a killing rampage. I think that one would be the worst. I didn't like being tricked.

Nonetheless, Fawn must be here to tell me "Aha, you stupid girl, we caught you in the act of escaping and now you'll never leave this place alive." She'd finish the whole thing with an evil laugh and I'd already be in tears.

Then again, I wasn't sure if Fawn was the evil type. At least at I wasn't sure yet.

I decided to just get my demise over with.

"What do you want, Fawn? Isn't it a little early to be bugging the crazies?" I murmured, feeling the sweat begin to roll down my back.

The covers no longer felt comfortable, and I could hear the birds chirping but now it was just annoying.

"It's Saturday, and it's 9:30 AM, so no, it's not too early. You missed breakfast, and you can't miss today's activities or I'll be the one in trouble. I got here about ten minutes ago and let you sleep, but now you've got to get up and get ready," She explained, walking to the window and looking outside, giving me a moment to get out of bed.

She had no idea that she was really giving me a moment to collect myself from the fact that I was about to vomit. From the relief or from the sickening feeling of being caught, I wasn't sure. Either way, I was safe. For now.

She turned, frowning when I was still in bed and frowning even further when she caught sight of my face.

"Are you alright, Janie?" She asked, coming towards me and bending to eye level.

Up close, I could see her amber eyes had little dark spots in them. I wondered if those were the souls she had captured in her liquid gaze and then frozen forever.

I popped up suddenly, stretching my arms over my head and twisting my back, inhaling deeply to clear my head and cool myself down.

"I'm okay. Let's just get this activity over with. What's the agenda for the day, Fawn?" I asked, seeing several bags in the corner and smiling when I realized they were my clothes.

"This activity isn't just one you can just get over with," she started, ignoring my eye roll. "Starting at 10:30, all of the patients are required to meet in the front room with Dr. Alaya with their journals in order to discuss, as a group, important matters in your recovery."

"Like feelings and stuff?" I asked, wrinkling my nose.

"Something like that. Dr. Alaya has a unique way of doing things, though, so if you can get past your bad attitude, you might even enjoy it."

I stuck my tongue out at her, but was secretly pleased that she wasn't afraid to do some trash talking with me.

• • •