Chapter 20 - Part 3 Sneak Peek

Y/N

As night fall crept slowly, me and Rosabeth snuck out of the manor unseen, our figures were cast out onto the pale gray rocks from the early moonshine. We looked towards each other before we made it to the manor's personal stables. We both stared at each other as I glanced way, then paused for a second. "Rika!" I recalled as I tried to run back to retrieve her but Rosabeth stopped me. "No, Y/N, don't.." She says softly, reminding me that it would be too risky for us to go back to get Rika. I nodded my head slowly, even though it pained me to leave the gentle molly. I looked back to her then reached for her hand as I rushed us to the stables, telling her to stay put as I tell her to wait in a safe spot. I walked into the stables and looked around, my gaze narrowed as I heard footsteps near. "Who goes there?" I called, knowing it was risky as well, but I knew how to defend myself since it came with being the queen's kitten. My mind trailed back to what the duke had said about me, telling me that I was leaving for my own good, knowing that if I stayed, the queen of Scotland could easily find out and then I could be used against the queen's will and I didn't want to endanger her like that. Shaking my head to clear it of all the thoughts I had, I reminded myself that the coast was clear and that I thought of the footsteps as a person even though it was easily one of the steeds' horseshoes. I rushed back to where Rosabeth was at, and told her that the coast was clear, then I helped her up and went to retrieve our horses. I was sad that I wouldn't be able to return back to England with Electra since he mystically passed away from an illness. But Rosabeth's father was kind enough to buy a new steed for me, her name's Zinnia. A kind-hearted mare with a gentle pace, she wasn't like Electra to get jumpy but she learns to put up with a fight to anyone she dislikes. I grabbed her by the reins she had since I made sure before and after I went out riding during the late afternoon that none of the stable-hands tried to put her saddle and bridle up.