|5|

"We are nearing Wotina's border," Syla announced with barely any breath left in her.

The proximity of her pack compelled her feet to keep moving—she could not wait to pass through the gates.

Syla still wanted to avoid her father. She hoped they could make it to her shack in her pack's forests without being bothered. She also hoped no one would recognize the man being dragged along with her.

Maze wore her hood and a pair of loose pants she gave him since he had none. The top was too small for the comely muscle he sported and so were the trousers. He resembled a poor man, but if he was who he claimed to be, it made a good enough disguise.

The night sounded around them. Crickets chirped, frogs croaked, and the owls spoke to all creatures of the forests lurking near.

"Can we stop?" Maze asked, feeling as if he would die if he did not rest. The injury he sustained had taken a major toll on his stamina.

"No, we should not. Wotina is near, we are almost there. Then I could have a carriage for you or something to help you travel."

"Please, Syla. Just for a few moments, that is all I need."

"Alright," Syla sighed and gave in. Together they slumped against a tree. Though unwanted, she could admit to herself that she was glad to rest.

"Thank you," Maze looked at her. "Not just for this but for saving me too. If the stream had carried me further, I would have drowned at some point."

"You are welcome," Syla replied. It was silent before she spoke again. "I do not want to seem nosy, but I must ask... why are you running?"

He did owe her an explanation. "I will only say that I discovered a secret."

"I assume it is unpleasant."

"You could not imagine," he snorted.

"So, you did not do anything that would get me in trouble for helping you, right?"

Maze laughed and shook his head. "No, I can promise you that."

They rested for another peaceful minute before they heard rustling in the far distance—along with voices. It was the faintest noise, but it could be heard. Maze and Syla glanced at one another wide eyed.

"Those do not smell like my pack. We should go now," Syla said.

Gathering her bags from the ground, she rose to help up the man she'd just met hours ago. With haste, they hobbled on to the Wotina border.

___

The maid chewed her lip nervously as she bore the king regent's intense stare.

"Are you sure that is what you saw?" Graed asked.

"Yes, I am sure."

"Repeat it."

"Um, I was hanging the decor on the drapes when I saw Prince Mazikai rushing past. When I greeted him, he paid me no mind—which is unlikely behavior for him. The prince headed toward the backlands, and through the window I saw him enter the forest. As I said before, he seemed highly upset."