12; What is this?

1 year before Eraser got emotions

“And I thought I was tired,” Nightmare laughed looking at Reboot who curled up at his feet.
“He looks like a puppy,” Dream smiled but whined when Nightmare quickly hit his head.
“Don’t call him that!” Nightmare snapped and his brother laugh happily.
“But he’s legitimately sleeping on the floor Night. Did you even try and move him? Sleeping like that is like how a dog sleeps.” Dream teased and Nightmare groaned.
“I did try moving him,” Nightmare hissed, “If you must know.” He looked down at Reboot who slept, curled up in a ball.
“He’s kinda cute like that- oh wait, nightmare you don’t,” Dream drew in a quick breath, “actually like him? Like more than a friend?” Dream pushes and Nightmare rolled his eyes.
“No, I just think he’s adorable, lovable and- oh no… do I actually like him?” Nightmare gasped in realization.
“You do!” Dream threw his hands in the air and cheered.
“Oh god. I love Reboot,” Nightmare let his skull fall into his head. “I actually love my best friend.” 
“You do! You do! You do! You love Reboot,” Dream began to happily dance around, his eyes lighting up. Nightmare whined but they both got deadly quiet as Reboot whined.
“Shit…” Nightmare looked down at the tired, and now slowly awakening, Reboot.
“Five more minutes,” Reboot whined and soon his friends where both laughing.
“Sorry Re. You can go back to sleep,” Nightmare hummed as he moved over so the half asleep creator could move onto the couch to sleep.
“Thanks…” Reboot was out again in a moment.

Reboot honestly was surprised, and that was a rare thing. In front of him stood his friends, and they were all wearing rainbow party hats.
“Happy appeared day!” They all yelled and Reboot grinned. As he hadn’t been born they celebrated they day he randomly appeared.
“Guys…” Reboot smiled softly. Blue ran up and hugged his best friend tightly before handing him a larger box.
“Blue?” Reboot asked quietly.
“Open it when your in private okay? It has to do with our little secret.” Blue whispered and Reboot couldn’t help but grin.
“Thanks Blue.” Reboot whispered before Dream and Nightmare appeared to give him a gift as well.
“Open it!” Dream cheered and Reboot happily did as his friend asked. Oh wow was the gift beautiful. It was a few yards of dark blue fabric.
“Thank you…” Reboot was grinning wider than he could ever imagine.
"Of course. It's what friends are for." Dream chirped.

"Hey Re?" Nightmare walked up behind Reboot who was currently cutting his birthday cake calmly.
"Yea Night?" Reboot smiled up at his best friend and Nightmare faultured. His friendship with Reboot meant the world to him and he decided quickly that he wasn't going to risk it that day with confessing.
"What was Blues present?" Night asked quietly. Reboot tilted his head. He pulled out the still wrapped package.
"He told me to open it a bit later but I'll open it with you if you promise to keep whatever it is a secret." He hummed and Nightmare nodded.
"Great. Can you keep cutting the cake?" Reboot asked and his friend nodded. He began to unwrap the package and when Nightmare had looked away let out a happily squeal. 
"Oh awesome!" Reboot laughed. Nightmare turned and to his horror, he saw reboot holding a small photo of him and that monster Eraser.
"Reboot? Why would Blue give that to you?" Nightmare pressed, walking closer.
"Cause he knows a secret." Reboot smiled.
"Is that a real photo or a drawing?" Nightmare could feel his heart sinking deeper into his chest.
"Its real. I've tried calming Eraser down. It's funny cause he'll spend hours just staring at my puppets with this weird smile. Blue took this when I surprised Race with a hug." Reboot laughed.
"Race?" Nightmare stepped closer.
"Eracer. He doesn't understand the nickname, or why I want him to stop, but he can be pretty calm at times." Reboot cuddled the photo close.
"Re…. He almost killed you." Nightmare was shaking.
"Yes he did. He doesn't understand that. He doesn't understand what killing is." Reboot shrugged. When he saw the state of his friend he sighed.
"Calm down Night. I stay safe. I'm not gonna let him hurt me." Reboot raised a hand to his friends cheek who responded by shaking violently.
"I can't lose you Re. He almost killed you. What if this is all an act?" Nightmare cupped his friends cheeks.
"Night I'm fine. Blue is always with me when we meet up. Nothing bad can happen." Reboot smiled at his friend. 

That's what destroyed Nightmare. He knew Reboot. He could read his best friend like the back of his hand. Reboot liked Eraser. Nightmare could see it in his eyes. He could also see that the others emotionless state made it harder for Reboot.
"Reboot…. You love him don't you?" Reboot flinched at his friends words before tearing up.
"I've kissed him Night. He didn't understand and it made me feel terrible. Instead of teaching him how to be a friend I kissed him. He didn't understand. He can't understand. I don't think he'll ever be able to and it hurts. It hurts so much Night." Reboot hiccups trying not to break down.
"Reboot." Nightmare felt his heart shatter. His best friend, crush, and the creator of the multiverse was slowly falling apart because of this monster and he couldn't even see what was happening to himself.
"Nightmare I can't… I can't keep doing this. Everyone hates him and I can't stand it…" Reboot was sobbing and Nightmare hugged him tightly.
"I won't hate him. If it helps I won't hate him." Nightmare allows his friend to cling him tightly.
"Promise?" Reboot looked up at Nightmare and when the taller nodded Reboot hugged him even tighter. 

Nightmare hated the very fact that Reboot loved someone who couldn't love him back. He hated watching reboot fall apart. He couldn't stop it but he could help Reboot and maybe one day tell his friend everything.

Or he could do it now. Screw patience. He had enough waiting. He couldn't watch Reboot hurt for who knows how long with the chance Reboot could accept his feelings. 

In one swift move Nightmare leaned down, tilted Reboots chin, and brought him in for a kiss.