Chapter 8 - Ashtray

You let Kirishima exaggerate and embellish as much as he liked over the next few days as he told the story of your battle to anyone who would listen. You often caught him glancing over at you as if to persuade you to jump in with your side as well, but you decided to give him his moment. What he had said about not thinking his quirk was 'cool' enough hit you in a special place in your heart.

How can he not see how great he is?

***

You only had a few more days of patrolling for Fat Gum before Zipper came back from leave when Kirishima said, "Would you help me with something this weekend?"

"Sure. What for?" you asked as you took a bite of jerky. You were always starving after class.

"Well, it's Bakugou's birthday on Saturday." Your eyes lit up. "We didn't celebrate last year since we were all new and he scared everyone, but I was hoping to do something. He's my best bro after all."

"Oh my God, yes!" You nearly bounced up and down. You loved planning things like this. "Is it a surprise? Will there be cake? Should I make a cake? What's his favorite food?"

Maybe I'm hungrier than I thought.

"Didn't know you'd be so excited to do something nice for Bakugou. He hasn't exactly brought out the welcome wagon..." Kirishima trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck.

Bakugou had been even more antisocial since the movie outing. Todoroki had apologized the next day, but Bakugou had only threatened to kill him (par for the course) before locking himself in his room for the rest of the evening.

"I just want that boy to smile for once, without looking like he'll murder someone in the process." You were already making a list of supplies and food you'd need in your head while grinning to yourself.

"I assure you, he'll still look like he wants to kill us if we do this. But I think he'll secretly appreciate it." Kirishima could see you were clearly lost in your own thoughts. He watched you smile.

***

"Hey Satou," you called from the kitchen, "do you think I need more frosting on these?" You pointed to the cupcakes you'd been decorating. They were iced with black, orange and green to match Bakugou's hero costume. You'd used a piping tip that made it look like little explosions were emanating from the cakes.

"I think they look good," the large boy answered as he took a second batch out of the oven. "Just let these cool completely before you ice them, and I think we'll have enough for everyone."

"Plus some extras. I'm sure Kaminari and Sero will try to sneak a few," you said buoyantly. "Could you bring the finished ones to your room? I know you have a bigger refrigerator than the rest of us." Satou nodded, took the finished platter, and moved toward the elevator.

Now to start the curry.

Kirishima had told you that whenever the squad went out to eat, Bakugou would get the hottest curry on the menu and still complain that it was bland.

Challenge accepted.

You made a large pot of normal curry which everyone in the dorm could enjoy and a special smaller batch just for the birthday boy to destroy with as much pepper and spice as he wanted.

"What is that smell?" Ochako practically (actually?) floated into the kitchen on the sweeping aroma of herbs and tender meat. Izuku followed her, peering around the space.

"Don't say anything, but tomorrow is Bakugou's birthday. So I'm making dinner and dessert. Kiri has some other stuff planned for entertainment," you half-whispered with a bright smile.