Chapter 2: Shalebacks

The Shaleback, also known as Kappa, resembles a hybrid of a gorilla and turtle. While the gorilla determines its pose, movement and behavior, the turtle provides a thick, shell-like and scaly dermal condition. There are two variants: a green and a red one.

The Dark green and the Aqua green variant is neutral and will only attack after it, a baby, or another Shaleback near it is hit, for a heavy attack will wind up a large slam, you can easily dodge it by backing away to avoid damage to your shield or blocking it

The Red and Purple variant is territorial and will attack once you enter its nest, for a heavy attack it will jump a short distance and smash down, its better to roll away than block it as it does heavy damage to shields

Shalebacks by nature are Herbivores and as stated above usually tend to not be concerned by humanoids unless provoked. They generally tend to nest around the same areas as the Imps. You will notice they convene in small numbers around their nests named of plant fibers and sticks. Baby hatchlings tend to wander around the nest as the mother and father guard and gather the food for their young.

My first encounter with the Shalebacks come from taking strolls in the river island oasis in the southern desert areas. It is said that the Male Shaleback will perform a special call to lure their mate within the Mating Season. As males are more territorial they will also perform a mating dance to show off their male prowess.

The mating season typically occurs when the photoperiod (day length) and local temperature begin to increase. This is likely because incubation temperature drives the determination of each hatchling's sex. Warmer temperatures produce femLes and cooler temperatures produce males, so the adults need to lay their eggs is just right to produce both male and females hatchlings. Roughly around 29 degrees Celsius (84.2 degrees F)

2 degrees F)