Chapter 5: Mammoths

A mammoth is any species of the genus Mammuthus, one of the many genera that make up the order of trunked mammals called proboscideans. The various species of mammoth were commonly equipped with long, curved tusks and, in northern species, a covering of long hair. They live in the northern Tundras and snow ridden areas near the mountains. The species are seen across the continents most pro dominantly in the Exiled Lands. They were members of the family Elephantidae, which also contains the two genera of modern elephants and their ancestors.

They generally have long brownish fur covering their body with massive tusk coming from what appears to be their mouths. Mammoths are used as mounts by the race of Giants, who inhabit the same range of territory far north of the Wall. The size proportion between a giant and a mammoth is similar to that between a normal man and a horse. The giants have not domesticated mammoths, but have been able to tame large numbers of them. Giants use mammoths as war mounts, though they can also be used as beasts of burden.

One such mammoth was used as a mount by Mag the Mighty during the battle for Castle Frostborn is the 1st age, where it was used to try and tear down the massive gate and allow the wildling army to flood in. The Night Stalkers near the southern Aqueduct dropped flaming barrels of oil down on them, setting the mammoth's hindquarters alight and causing the colossal pachyderm to bolt in terror from the battlefield, crushing one man under its foot and dragging another in flames behind it.

Not much is known about these monstrous creatures as they live in nearly uninhabitable locations due to their inclement for cold weather.