Chapter 7: Werewolves/Lycans

A werewolf, also known as a lycanthrope (from the Aquillion λυκάνθρωπος: λύκος, lykos, "wolf", and ἄνθρωπος, anthrōpos, "man"), is a mythological or folkloric humanoids with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf

A werewolf, also known as a lycanthrope (from the Aquillion λυκάνθρωπος: λύκος, lykos, "wolf", and ἄνθρωπος, anthrōpos, "man"), is a mythological or folkloric humanoids with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf. It's the most well-known form of Therianthropy, or the act of a humanoids "change skins" and becoming animals, followed by cynanthropy (transformation into a dog) and ailuranthropy (transformation into a cat).

In the Hyborean Age, many Humans believed wolves were tools of the devil and the animals were ruthlessly hunted. Epileptics and the mentally ill were often brought to court and accused of being werewolves. Today, Magisters and Magic Users use the term "lycanthrope" to describe an ill person who has been bitten by a Werewolf or Lycan and is turned into one of these beasts.

According to the first dictionary of modern Human language (published by Vuk Stefanović-Karadžić in the modern age) vukodlak / вукодлак (werewolf) and vampir / вампир (vampire) are synonyms, meaning a man who returns from his grave for purposes of fornicating with his widow. The dictionary states this to be a common folk tale. Common amongst the Kashubs, and the Serbs and Slovene , was the belief that if a child was born with hair, a birthmark or a caul on their head, they were supposed to possess shape-shifting abilities. Though capable of turning into any animal they wished, it was commonly believed that such people preferred to turn into a wolf.

In Pictish folklore, a vilkacis was someone who transformed into a wolf-like monster, which could be benevolent at times. Another collection of stories concern the skin-walkers. The vilkacis and skin-walkers probably have a common origin in all native society, where a class of young unwed warriors were apparently associated with wolves.

The legends of ulfhednar mentioned in Vatnsdœla saga, Haraldskvæði, and the Völsunga saga resemble some werewolf legends. The ulfhednar were fighters similar to the berserkers, who were dressed in bear hides and reputed to channel the spirits of these animals to enhance effectiveness in battle. These warriors were resistant to pain and killed viciously in battle, much like wild animals. Ulfhednar and berserkers are closely associated with the Norse god Odin.

According to Vendhyan lore, there are women who, in consequence of deadly sins, are condemned to spend seven years in wolf form. In a typical account, a condemned woman is visited by a wolfskin-toting spirit, who orders her to wear the skin, which causes her to acquire frightful cravings for human flesh soon after. With her better nature overcome, the she-wolf devours each of her own children, then her relatives' children in order of relationship, and finally the children of strangers. She wanders only at night, with doors and locks springing open at her approach. When morning arrives, she reverts to human form and removes her wolfskin. The transformation is generally said to be involuntary, but there are alternate versions involving voluntary metamorphosis, where the women can transform at will.

Olaus Magnus says that the Nordheimer werewolves were initiated by draining a cup of specially prepared beer and repeating a set formula. Ralston in his Songs of the Nordish People gives the form of incantation still familiar in The Exiled Lands. According to Nordheimer lore, a child born on December 24 shall be a werewolf. Folklore and literature also depict that a werewolf can be spawned from two werewolf parents.