35

"Well- here we are." Magnus exhales deeply as him and I walked into the party he had begged me to come with him to.

I was dressed in a white off the shoulder dress, one that was ruched and ended mid-thigh, gold ankle strap heels on my feet as my hair was curled.

"Magnus." I placed my hands on my hips, "Are you sure bringing me here was a good idea?"

"Yeah." Magnus said, "It's better than coming by myself."

"I'm joking." Magnus adds in when I shot him a look, "They'll love you."

"Magnus." I walked with him through the party, "I'm the only Shadowhunter here."

Magnus places his hands on my bare arms, "Oh, just because you're the only Shadowhunter at a party full of warlocks doesn't mean you can't have fun."

"Yeah, well, that's easy for you to say." I remarked, "You've known these people for centuries."

Magnus' response makes me snicker, "And you think that's a good thing?"

Magnus inhales, "Trust me, I don't want to be here any longer than I have to, but it's tradition for the outgoing High Warlock to pass the baton onto his replacement."

I eye gesture to a man that was just talking it up with everyone, "Is that him?"

"The one and only." Magnus seethed through his teeth, "Lorenzo Rey, the new High Warlock of Brooklyn."

Lorenzo notices us, "Magnus!"

As Magnus turns to leave right as he calls for me, I quickly link our arms and turn him to face Lorenzo as he made our way to us.

"Magnus Bane!" Lorenzo had almost the brightest smile on his lips, handing us both drinks, "You made it and you brought a friend."

"Yeah, hi-" I went to introduce myself, "I'm-"

"Zee Young, the woman that took out our greatest enemy." Lorenzo cut me off, already knowing who I was, "I expect we'll be seeing quite a bit of each other at your boyfriend's Downworld Cabinet meetings."

I was at a loss of words, "I- yeah, Alec's one to unite."

"No hard feelings." Lorenzo looked at Magnus, "Right, Bane?"

"On the contrary, I'm very content in my new position- being the High Warlock is a thankless job." Magnus kept his cool, "Long hours, little pay but I'm sure that doesn't matter to someone as young and civic-minded as yourself."

"Oh, don't be so jaded." Lorenzo slightly snipped back, "I may only be 484, but I'm no stranger to service- all those years working for the High Warlock in Madrid have prepared me well.

"Although- I may not be as easy on you as he was." Lorenzo then looked at me, "After all, I'm here to serve the warlocks, not portal you around like some glorified shuttle service."

I stare at him, wanting to just knock him in the face, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"In that case, I look forward to running into you at our first Cabinet meeting." Lorenzo's smile returned as he walked away, "Enjoy the party."

I set down my untouched drink, rolling my eyes, "Who appointed him?"

"Nobody." Magnus sighs, "There was a vote, and Lorenzo can be very charming as long as you're into phony, no taste, egomaniacal pieces of sh-"

"Language!" I blurt out immediately when I saw Madzie running towards me, Catarina right behind her.

Madzie squeals as she jogs over to me, "Zee!"