38

"Zee, please come to bed-" Alec mumbles from his bed, covering in his blanket, turned so he can look at me while I sat on the couch in his room.

"I will- in a minute-" I don't even look up, my eyes glued to chapter of the book I was reading, "Let me finish this-"

Alec groaned, "You can finish it in the morning."

"Alec!" I flipped the page, "I'm almost done."

"Zee, I'm tired-" Alec complained in an exhausted tone, "Come to bed, please-"

"Alec, give me a minute- I promise I'll be there in a minute." I was too invested in the paragraph I had my eyes set on, feeling excitement bursting within me with every word I read.

Then, I heard shuffling, my eyes tearing away from the page I was reading when I see a tired looking Alec stood in front of me, the blanket wrapped him, his hair a mess.

His voice was raspy and laced with tiredness, looking down at me, "Move your book."

I stare at him, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

Alec grabbed my book from my lap and shut it closed, setting it to the side, a gasp leaving my lips as I quickly picked it up, "Alec, my page!"

Alec lays down on the couch I sat on, resting his head on my lap, nuzzling into his blanket, closing his eyes, "Goodnight."

I looked down at his head, holding my closed book in my hand, so at a loss of words that I couldn't even rush to find the page I was once on and so invested in.

"Oh, and- I love you." Alec added in a moment later, yawning a little, his cheek nuzzled against my thigh, leaving me speechless, staring at him in admiration.

-

"From everything I've heard, my mother suffered in silence alone for years." Jace told me as I followed him into the courtyard, "She never got the help she needed."

I was dressed in a yale blue V neck, that was tucked into black ripped jeans, and black combat boots.

I put my straightened hair behind my ears and cross my arms, "Jace, whatever's going on with you- we're gonna figure it out."

Jace inhales deeply, "I'm thinking of going to the City of Bones for treatment."

"What?" I blinked in slight surprise, "You want to go to Silent Brothers?"

Jace nods once, "They have a history of helping Shadowhunters with mental health issues."

I sigh, shaking my head lightly, "Jace, we don't know that's what you're going through-"

Jace cuts my sentence off, pressing on his point, "There's a family history."

"Except you didn't start experiencing this until I made the wish and brought you back." I shot back a valid argument, "Do you really think that's a coincidence?"

"I think- it was a trigger for something that's always been there." Jace's reply made me shut up, since he could've been right, "Look, I can't sit benched and do nothing- if there is even a chance that the Silent Brothers can help, then that's-"

"But, what if they can't?" I argued with him, "Jace, the Clave would deem you unfit for duty and you'd be deruned."

"And what choice do I have?" Jace's voice sounded weak and filled with pain, "I can't live like this."

My hard expression soften at my breaking best friend, who seemed like he was hanging off a string.

I felt guilty, because this was my fault.