Chapter 4

Not a day went without stress weighing down on Y/N's shoulders. She dragged her tired legs to her tiny apartment and jumped on the couch, only to get a notification on her mobile planner app that she had an essay due in three hours' time.

She sighed. All she wanted right now was to get away from the studies, the stress, this boring world, the same old story that her life was. For the first time, she actually dared of thinking about how it would be like if mythical creatures like dragons and unicorns actually existed in this world. Wouldn't it be nice to possess magic?

But that isn't how it is supposed to be.

Y/N sighed again got up from her relaxed posture from the couch.

Only three hours to complete it.

For the next three hours she sat down on her desk, typing away the letters of an essay she questioned was even going to be read by the teacher. One teacher surely cannot read 300 essays, could they? Because that's the number of students in Y/N's literature class.

After editing and re-editing her essay, Y/N finally submitted her work to her teacher through email. The sky color had already dropped to black and Y/N's room was engulfed in darkness, the only source of light was her laptop since it was starless night. Her eyes reflected the laptop screen, and were closing with tiredness.

She shut her laptop and went on to have her dinner. Her teeth that were biting off the soft brown bread of her sandwich and the typical shows on Netflix that played on her TV hadn't sparked any emotion inside Y/N. The show was funny but she didn't laugh, the sandwich was tasty but she didn't drool. Most of the things in her life didn't gain a reaction from her when they got activated: she didn't complain when the sun was blazing, she didn't shiver when the snow was cruel. She didn't loosen up when her shoulders got tensed, she didn't cry when she lost someone she knew. Except for that one time.

How are things in heaven, Dad?

Y/N finished her meal and went inside her bedroom. Her expression remained stony for the duration of her life, usually failing to show any emotion if it wasn't sudden.

Although this night it did. When she was coffined inside her white blankets and her unconscious mind saw nothing but blank, it hit her bedroom walls with a bang and suddenly her eyes snapped open as she covered her disturbed ears with her hands.

What the -?

She glanced at her digital alarm which showed that it was 11:47pm. Her forehead crumpled in anger and her mind wondered about the idiot next door who thought it was okay to play hard-rock music at a time like this. She flipped her blankets off her and stormed up to her front door. Slipping on her home slippers she exited her apartment and literally banged on her neighbor's door. She punched the wooden rectangle about three times with six punches and the door finally opened with Y/N wishing she could punch his face too.

Her fist stopped at Hoseok's nose and his eyes squinted to focus on it.

"Whoa, hello there, sweetheart."

Y/N dropped her hand to her side and looked at him. The bass that was thudding had stopped, and Hoseok's hair that was half-wet fell down on his forehead, touching his long eyelashes. A pink hue dusted his brilliant features, his oval cheeks and his angled nose. He was slightly panting and was inhaling through his mouth, his chest lightly rising and falling, rhythmed with his breathing. All he wore was a pair of grey sweatpants, leaving his feet and upper body bare, nothing but a white towel hung around his neck. Y/N couldn't help but notice that his torso was perfectly toned.

Oh god, he has fricking abs –

Her heart would've been jumping out her chest by now if she wasn't internally boiling with rage. She only crimsoned slightly and her eyes trailed the length of his bare torso. She suddenly was brought back to the situation when Hoseok's fingers snapped in front of her eyes and he pointed at his face.

"Eyes are up here, sweetheart," he smiled.

Y/N was consumed with embarrassment and her face grew red hot. She blinked awkwardly, trying not to drop her gaze below his eyes. The anger that she had felt seconds ago was fading only slightly. She coughed in an attempt to start her complaining but Hoseok trapped her words in her throat by speaking first.

"Why are you here?" he asked, kindly, "oh, did you want to meet me? I know I told you to come visit me anytime, but it's a bit late and –"

"Exactly, it's late, and I came to ask you to stop that music playing in your room, because it's fucking going to be 12:00 am and some people need to go to school tomorrow." Y/N suddenly spat out; his cluelessness had sparked her anger back on.

Hoseok's face caught a flicker of amusement. He raised his hands up, as though he was being held at gunpoint. "Ok calm down."

Y/N massaged temples with her fingers. After gaining a bit of patience, she started again: "look, Hoseok –"

"Call me Hobi!"

"Hoseok," Y/N tried to remain calm, "I need to go to college tomorrow and I really need my night's sleep."

"I get it, but, you see, I need to dance practice!" he argued, while keeping that bright smile on his face. "Obviously I will need music. And even if I lower it down, you know how these walls are, the sound is going to travel to yours anyways."

"Then what? You don't want me to fucking sleep?" Y/N shouted through gritted teeth.

"I'm a dancer, and I come home at 8:30 from work, now's the only time I can practice, sweetheart."

You've got to be kidding me

Y/N sighed frustratingly. "Move," she said and pushed Hoseok out of the doorway and entered his house.

"Hey, you can't do that!"

She marched up to his bedroom and rummaged through his drawers to find a pair of large headphones. When Hoseok entered his room, Y/N threw the headphones on his chest.

"Be smart next time," she huffed and stormed out of his apartment, leaving behind an amused Hoseok.