Harder to remember

It's always better to improve yourself. That's what life is about, isn't it? Improving, being a better person, doing the right thing 'Is that why we left them?'

The awful smell of rotting food lingered around this place. A narrow cave leading into a glass door.

I face the vampire girl, holding her arms together. She looks back at me like she was about to cry, "Why are you acting like this?" I whisper, my voice giving a slight echo.

She only shakes her head in response. 'She's quieter than you.' I roll my eyes and turn back, walking towards the glass door.

Looking through I can see a room with a trail of blood staining the floor leading to another room. A flipped table with scattered paper around it, cupboards left open holding, various drugs, and liquids.

I grip for the edges of the sliding door pulling the two edges apart, as they give a grinding sound. The lights inside give a quick flicker, as i squeeze through the narrow opening i made 'They still got power!' Looking through the cupboards the only thing useful I could recognize was a mostly used up medical bandage. The next room has to have something better.

As I opened the metal door the stench of rotting meat flooded in.

I peak through seeing the trail of blood leading to three dead bodies piled on each other 'What's wrong with their necks!' I look closer at the pile, they were all missing a large chunk of their necks, one of the bodies arms was stretched over a metal table, the table looks like it used to have someone strapped down on it.

There were jars full of colorful liquids that fed into an old, used looking iv, next to the table.

There was another door, inside was a small room with a desk and another dead body, same torn neck, but with a needle lodged in his head.

On his desk was a colorful framed crayon drawing poking out from the pile of papers.

I grab it. An old drawing of the man and a small girl with curly brown hair. The picture was labeled dad and me pointing to each of the people in the drawing. Looking at the man's desk was a name plate Michael Spae What is this place? 'The lions den.'

Looking more around the torn and stained papers on the desk I find another frame with an even more detailed drawing of the man again, with a small message on the bottom See you soon dad -Alice Spae I grab the frame, Is this the same girl?

Walking back, I'm greeted to the anxious vampire desperate to leave. I pull out the framed drawing of the dead man and his daughter, showing it to her "Did you draw this?" I ask, there was a glimpse of horror in her face, but it quickly vanishes into confusion.

"No, what is this?" she asks.

"I assumed it was you, or someone called Alice Spae" I say putting the picture in my bag

"No... Not me" she shakes her head. 'She's totally lying.'

Everything she's done so far makes me think she's been lying "Well since you're going to need a name, I say it should be Alice Spae."

She thinks for a moment. "Thanks, but I don't like that name." She says.

"Well, I never chose the name Zack but that's what I was named... So too bad." I reply She doesn't answer instead we both wait in silence hearing subtle footsteps above us.