Chapter 15: The War Begins Pt. 1

We had appeared at the train stop, when everyone was getting out of the train. 

Hermione saw me and said, "Perseus Jackson, how did you get here? You missed the train."

I remembered that Hermione thought that I was on the train ride back. So I played along. "I didn't feel like taking a plane ride over here, so I came with my friends. They apparated me here. We just arrived."

Hermione thought about what I said for a minute before nodding.

As we made our way to the carriages where we saw that they were being pulled by a type of Pegasus. I went up to one and pet its head. It looked at me and bowed. He said in my mind, My lord! I heard rumors about you being at Hogwarts. We are Thestrals. Only those who have witnessed death can see us.

I nodded understanding. I climbed into the carriage and Hermione looked at me funny. "How did you pet the Thestral without losing a limb?"

I smirked, "I reached my hand out, lowered it, and moved it back and forth."

She fake laughed. "You have to be professionally trained to pet them because they can be violent."

"They seem harmless."

By then, we had arrived. We entered the Great Hall since it was dinnertime. As I began to sit down, Harry came up to me and said, "This table is for true Gryffindors only. Not fake ones."

I thought that Harry would have come to his senses by the time we saw each other again, but he obviously didn't. So, I decided to have a little fun. I smirked, "Well then I guess you should leave."

Harry's face turned red. "If you think that you're better than me, Harry Potter, than you're stupid! I survived a war. I led people into battle."

It took me everything to not burn this idiot to a crisp. But I guess it showed cause all the liquid around me rose a little. Harry saw this and left. But not before he said, "Creep!"

Hermione put her hand on my shoulder and said, "It's okay. Don't listen to him."

I nodded. After a few minutes, Dumbledore rose to the podium. "Welcome back, students. Before I allow the feast to begin, I have an important announcement. This is confidential news that the Ministry has told me to report to all students and staff at Hogwarts. Last night, all Death Eaters who were captured in May have escaped from Azkaban."

Everyone was silent, taking in the news. I realized that the war was even closer now, so I had to warn Harry.

Dumbledore continued, "Now let the feast begin!"

Food appeared on the tables, just like on the day we first got here. I got up from the table and made my to Harry. "Harry, Voldemort's back and he wants to kill you more than anything else!"

Harry looked at me, "Yeah right, Jackson. I defeated him twice, once as a baby. I think I can handle him. And he's dead. For good!"

"You don't understand, he has returned. Just because you killed him doesn't mean he's dead."

"Whatever."

Ron spoke up, "Go away, we already have to sleep in the same room as you."

Knowing that they wouldn't be convinced, I left and went back to my seat.

Hermione asked me where I went, so I replied, "I think that Voldemort is back, and he's after Harry."

"Percy, Voldemort died for good. I saw him turn into dust."

"You sure Thanos didn't snap him out of existence?"

Hermione sighed, "Percy, I know that Thanos didn't snap him out of existence."

I put my hands up. "Alright."

Hermione began to laugh, "You really are hopeless."

"I know."

We continued to talk for a little bit, until it was time to go to our common rooms.

Hermione and I got up and made our way to the exit of the Great Hall. But before we could leave, Professor Dumbledore stopped us and said, "Mr. Jackson, Miss Granger. I have a very important assignment for you two."

We nodded, signaling him to continue. "You will go to the library and research on the afterlife. More specifically, returning from the afterlife. You will have access to the restricted section."

Hermione questioned, "No disrespect, but isn't that something you could just ask a ghost?"

Dumbledore nodded, "Indeed. However, there is a way that you can return in your physical body. Even from hell itself."

Hermione, not understanding that he meant Tartarus said, "Sir, only gods can return from hell."

Dumbledore simply responded, "Ever hear of the Doors of Death, Miss Granger?"

And with that, he left. Hermione and I went to the library.

I knew that Dumbledore wanted us to find out how Voldemort and Kronos could escape. I just don't understand why he wants Hermione to go with me. She didn't know anything about the new war. And I wanted to keep it like that for as long as possible.

We entered the library and immediately went to the restricted section, agreeing that we would get the most information there.

Hermione grabbed all the books that involved the afterlife and hell. She even found books on the Doors of Death.

We opened the ones on the Doors of Death first, since Dumbledore suggested we look into them. But really because Voldemort and Kronos were trapped in Tartarus.

Hermione read aloud, "The Doors of Death act as a door in and out of the Underworld for Thanatos, the Greek God of Death. In order for someone to pass from Tartarus into the mortal world, someone would have to hold the button for a certain period of time and someone else would have to hit the button on the mortal side, or else anything in the elevator would disappear. However, this was not the only way back to the mortal world. In case any mortal were to ever enter the pit, they must travel to the Shrine of Hermes and give a blood donation. But, only with the blessing of Hecate may they return to the mortal world."

After taking in what I just heard, I said, "This is what Dumbledore meant. This is how Voldemort returned."

I quickly got up to tell Chiron, but Hermione stopped me.

"Where are you going? We have to do more research."

Before I could open my mouth to respond, an Iris message appeared.

It showed my father in the Olympian throne room. He looked worried. "Percy, you have to tell the wizards everything. The war is beginning, and Kronos has gathered all the monsters from Tartarus. He plans to attack Olympus, while Voldemort targets Hogwarts. Their goal is  to separate you from the gods. They want you to feel alone. Our only hope of defeating them is if we work together. Wizards and gods combined. Warn them, Percy. Warn the-"

The message cut off.

Hermione looked at me like I had grown another head. "Perseus Jackson, who was that!? And what war!?"

I awkwardly laughed, "Well... You were right. I am a demigod. I guess the best way to explain is to start with my titles. Don't worry. I'll give you the quick version.  I am Percy Jackson, Son of Poseidon. Retriever of Zeus' Master Bolt, Sailor of the Sea of Monsters, Retriever of the Golden Fleece, Bearer of the Sky, Savior of Artemis, Wanderer of the Labyrinth, former bearer of the Curse of Achilles. Subject of three Great Prophecies, one of the Seven, Retriever of the 12th Legion's eagle, former Praetor of New Rome, Survivor of Tartarus and the Second Giant and Titan wars. I have defeated most of the Greek/Roman monsters at least once. Slayer of Kronos and defeater of Gaea. Fought in the Battle of the Labyrinth, Battle of Manhattan, Battle of Alaska, the Battle against Gaea, and other smaller ones. I am the leader of numerous quests, the Second Titan war, the former boyfriend of Annabeth Chase, and the champion of the Gods of Olympus. Oh, and the Savior of Olympus. Twice."

Hermione's mouth gaped open, "That was the quick version."

"Uh yeah. So basically, my grandfather Kronos has returned to the mortal world with the help of my other grandfather, Voldemort. They plan to take their revenge on both Harry and myself. The man you just saw was my father, Poseidon, God of the Sea."