The Interview

It was yet another morning. Chase went through his usual routine of getting up and getting ready for school. He could remember his conversation on the phone with the boss last night...

---------------------------------------------

"Hello?" A very suave voice answered the phone.

"Uh, hello there. Um, I read your flyer and I saw you were looking for a new bouncer for your club," Chase fumbled with the pink flyer. "Damon's Paradise, correct?"

"Oh, yes. Let me redirect you to the boss," the voice responded before clicking off. It almost sounded like it was amused. Soon after, another voice came on the phone, except this one was much deeper than the last.

"Can I help you?" It spoke. Chase could almost feel the bass of his voice through the phone.

"I saw that you were looking for a bouncer for your club and I was interested in the job," he responded, this time with much more clarity. "I was wondering if I could schedule an interview for tomorrow?"

"Hmm, I see," the voice spoke with a certain opaque tone his voice. "Do you have a resume?"

"Well, yeah," he answered, thinking back to his past work as a waiter. He'll even go back and throw in a few details about his football and such if it means getting him the job.

"Okay. What's your name?"

"Chase Machaëlle," he stated, making sure to spell it out. Many people had trouble pronouncing and spelling his last name, so he was used to it.

"Alright then, Chase. Be here with your resume and I.D card by 8:00 tomorrow night. Since your have the flyer, I'm assuming you have the address, correct?"

"Yes sir," he responded.

"Well, have a good night," the person hung up.

Chase looked back at the casual outfit he had lying on his headboard. He didn't quite have a suit. He thought about asking Antwon to borrow one, but that might spark up a million questions that he just couldn't answer.

There was an awkward, heavy silence as he walked into the kitchen. Antwon silently puts a plate of saltfish and bake in front of him on the table before turning off the stove and sitting across from him with his own food. He hesitantly sits down and begins digging in.

This lack of a job really did take a toll on him, huh? He certainly hoped he wasn't upset at him offering to work. Though he'd be even more pissed that he was taking up work at a club tonight, he'd do anything if it meant making his uncle's workload easier.

"Good morning, Uncle," he speaks up, seemingly startling him from his own thoughts.

"Wha gwan, Chase?"

"Nothing much. Just... the usual," he mumbles, biting into his bake.

"Mm," he responds, a moment of silence passing by before he speaks again. "Everything's gonna be alright. I'm gonna fix it," he reassures, reaching across to place a comforting hand on Chase's leg. "Don't worry about anything."

Chase flashes him with a hint of a smile, uneasy at best. He hoped he didn't pick up on it.

"Thank you, Uncle," he responds. "I'm gonna head to school now, the bus should be on its way," he leaves, his plate half-eaten.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Island-Boy! Heads up!" Chase heard before a football collided with the side of his face, the leather ball landing in his soup and causing it to spill all over his shirt and pants.