The Asshole

Chase woke up in the morning feeling oddly refreshed. He didn't get back home until three in the morning, so he did his best to sneak in without getting caught. He looks over to his right and sees the two duffle bags from last night. He spent a lot of time counting it out: a good $1000 was made that night. He had no idea that dancers could even potentially make that much. (Probably not a typical night, so he chalked it up to luck.)

He could hear some faint footsteps from his uncle coming down the hallway, so he springs up to kick the bags beneath the bed before Antwon could even notice anything when he opened the door.

"Hey Ant, what's up?" Chase flashed him a goofy smile, confusing the older male for a second.

"Morning Chase," he returns a fake smile before closing the door behind him and sitting in his bed. "Sit with me please?" He pats the area next to him.

Uh oh. He didn't catch him coming in late, did he?

"Something wrong?" Chase awkwardly sat by him, a bit scared.

"Well...I don't know, depends on you."

Chase inwardly cringed. This doesn't sound good at all.

"What do you mean?" He furrowed his eyebrows, his heart pounding.

"Well Chase, as you know, I was fired from my job."

"Yeah? What about it?"

"I'm applying for unemployment. Your school fees for next semester is due in three months. If I can't get a job by then, I might have to transfer you into a public school-"

"Transfer?! But Uncle, I don't want to transfer-" he rushes.

"Might transfer, Chase. I don't know for sure but I'm giving you a heads up. Okay?"

He frowns. He's not happy about this in the slightest. That school is all he knows, he's gone there since 6th grade after all. He'd hate to have to abandon his friends and his team, as problematic as they can be sometimes.

"Chase. All now so yuh go to the school-"

"Can you please let me work, Uncle?" he asks, exasperated.

"Chase..."

"Please Uncle. Look, I'm in honors right now. My GPA's 3.2. I can keep up with my school and work if that's what you're working on. I'm only struggling in English but I can easily make that up with some tutoring," he begs. "Uncle, I really don't want to leave that school."

"I promised your mother that I'd take care of you. You need to focus on your studies," he states, stern. "And you have your football, too. What about that?"

"Look- I can pay for it myself! I can work overtime! Or get a job!" Chase stammers, desperate.

The older man stares at Chase before sighing, shaking his head.

"Alright. You'll get one job. Part time on the weekends, okay?" he demands.

Chase smiles at this and nods his head. "You have my word, Uncle."

"Good," he affirms, satisfied. A moment goes by before Antwon turns to ask his nephew, lighthearted.

"So, how did your date go?"

"My date?" Chase recounts before instantly remembering his excuse last night. "Oh! Uh, it went well," he responds. "We didn't do too much, just chilled by Lake Merritt."

"Ah. I noticed you came home late last night. Hope you used protection?"

Chase blushes at this, mostly out of shock but embarrassment too.