2. Ghosts

Background: based on the events of twenty eleven, when Jade and Perrie rented a flat together after the X Factor, and later on told some stories about their time as roommates in interviews.

Jade is unable to feel anything but exhaustion as she lies in bed. She knew that her life was going to change after the X Factor, but she had no idea just how different it would be. She is extremely grateful for all of the opportunities this win has brought along, but never imagined that it would be this stressful. Leigh-Anne, Jesy, Perrie and her are working around the clock, but it never seems to be enough. Right now, all Jade wants to do is fall asleep, but she is not calm enough to be able to rest. It has only been a few weeks since Perrie and her moved into this flat, and so far, she doesn't like it here. It's tough being away from her parents, and most of all, Jade came to the conclusion that she likes South Shields much better than London. London is a big city, and Jade finds it terrifying.

Jade is uncomfortable, so she tries to find a more convenient position to fall asleep. As she moves, the dark room is suddenly lit up and noises are heard, and Jade takes a sharp breath out of panic. It takes her a few moments to realize that the TV is on, which is relieving at first, but then makes her stress out again. Jade mentally asks herself how did the TV just turn on on its own, and her heart is beating faster with each second that passes. She never liked living so far from her hometown and family, and everything scares her. Jade turns on the lamp on her nightstand, and as she does so, the TV catches her eye again. A documentary about NHS is playing, and a medical clown appears on the screen. Jade shuts her eyes, then runs out of her room and into the living room. She feels as though she is about to cry when the image of that clown plays over and over in her mind, and she decides that she will not be spending the night in her bed. She is not going back into that room as long as the TV is still on.

Jade decides that she will be sleeping in the living room tonight. There is a thin blanket folded on the couch, and Jade covers her body with it as she lays down on the couch and lays her head on a pillow. Her heart is still racing and she still feels the same sense of insecurity, so she gives up on falling asleep anytime soon and instead focuses on trying to calm down. However, she can still clearly hear the TV playing in her room, so her mind remains restless.

A few minutes later, the door leading to Perrie's room opens, and Perrie walks into the living room in her pajamas. She looks tired, and Jade can tell that she had just woken up from her sleep, but in Jade's eyes, Perrie is beautiful as always. Jade didn't go through the first eighteen years of her life without knowing who Perrie was like she claims. She has seen Perrie around South Shields a couple of times, and each sighting was so special that Jade remembers the exact scenarios in which this happened. She couldn't ignore Perrie's beauty and her halo of positivity and joy. She wanted to ask Perrie out every time she saw her, but had never worked up the courage to do so. After they officially met at the X Factor, Jade decided it was a sign from the sky and she had to ask Perrie to grab coffee with her sometime. She meant to do it, planned everything to the last detail, but then they were put in a group together, and Jade knew that it would only damage the already fragile dynamics between all four girls. She had to hide her feelings for Perrie, and so far it worked out quite well. Well, that's until they moved in together, and Jade found herself actually starting to fall for Perrie.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" Jade asks Perrie, and now her heart is racing for a reason other than fear. She cannot help but become slightly nervous whenever Perrie is around.

"My throat is killing me. I could ask you the same thing, though," Perrie replies with a shy smile. "And why are not in your room?"

"Oh, there's no way I'm going in there," Jade quickly answers. "There are ghosts in there. And clowns."