Chapter 7

Ellis was woken up by the sound of bees buzzing near her. She tried to swat them away.

"Hey!" a bee protested.

Ellis stopped smacking them. Bees did not protest. They also did not buzz indoors.

"Hello?" Adam grumbled into the phone while Ellis blearily blinked up at him. She was sprawled next to him, and it had been his shoulder that she had been swatting.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"Petri Vorinski." Adam answered.

Ellis buried her face into the pillow, but she was still able to hear her Uncle's yell.

"What the hell is my niece doing waking up next to you?" Petri screeched.

Ellis groped for the phone without turning her head until an exasperated Adam handed it to her, just so she would stop grabbing at him. Petri was still yelling at the other end.

"Good Afternoon Uncle Petri." Ellis said softly, and there was immediate silence on the other end.

"You really do not want to start throwing stones, or we might have to discuss how you had a bodyguard team on me, or how you hired Adam without telling me. I am 24 years old, and who I sleep with is none of your goddamned business. Now I am going back to sleep; so you won't be loud, will you?" All of this was said in honeyed tones that raised the hair on Adam's arms.

"Of course not." Petri agreed quickly. He knew just how much trouble that sweet tone promised.

Ellis waved the phone and Adam took it.

"I needed to tell you that I am throwing a charity fundraiser tomorrow night and I will need you and Ellis to attend. It's a black tie affair. See you at seven." Petri said it all in one breath and hung up.

Adam sighed and tossed his phone aside, before turning to the woman who still had her face buried into the pillow next to him.

"Are you really trying to go back to sleep?" he asked.

"That was the best sleep I've had in a very long time." she mumbled.

"So you wouldn't be very happy with me if I were to do this?" Adam asked as he lightly ran his finger over her ear.

Ellis turned her head to look at him.

"All you think about is sex." she told him haughtily.

"Nopes."

"Liar."

"No, all I think about is putting as much of your skin against as much of my skin as possible." Adam said seriously.

"Uh huh" Ellis said suspiciously.

"Sex just happens to be the easiest way to do that." Adam finished deadpan.

Ellis just stared at him before she burst out laughing. Adam chuckled before he threw his arm over her waist and cuddled her close.

Ellis made herself comfortable, wrapped up in his arms, before she poked his ribs.

"What did uncle want?"