Chapter 20

"So when will you ask Novi out?" Ellis asked taking a break from her sparring with Ash.

"Excuse me?" He startled.

"You heard me!"

"Why would I ask that rattlesnake out?"

"You are already in the nickname stage! How cute!"

"This is so not funny!"

"But it is! Just not for you.."

"Damnit Ellis!"

"Why is it making you so mad if she doesn't matter?"

"..."

"That's what I thought. So, when will you ask Novi out?"

"It's not that simple."

"Explain."

"Can't."

"Do it, or I go ask her. I would do it too."

"Last night.. we were pretending, for the benefit of some lawyer who had been hitting on her. Do you see? I am her haven. Would I take that away from her?"

"Excuses. Ash, this is not why you don't want to ask her out."

Ash shrugged. "Novi and I.. we understand each other quite well. I don't want a relationship right now, and she can see it plain as day. Lying to her or myself about it would be plain stupid. How about if I promise you this, once I feel like dating, and she's not seeing anyone, I'll ask her out? Unless its another woman who made me want to start dating.. then all bets are off."

"I'll hold you to that."

"Of that, I have no doubt. Now, can we please start sparring? This heart to heart will not get you out of training."

"Screw you!" Ellis launched a kick at his head, making Ash laugh as he ducked.

"Language! You used to be so polite! What happened to you?"

"Let's see if you are still laughing when I am done with you." Ellis growled, and proceeded to beat him up, in the name of training of course.

...

Next Day:

"Adam I need you at the command center!" Vince snapped into the phone.

"I'm just dropping Ellis off at work. I'll be right there." Adam answered and hung up, but then he glanced at Ellis who sighed in exasperation.

"I'll be fine. Just go. I'll have my phone with me, and I know how to handle myself. Seriously Adam, you worry too much." Ellis told him.

"Okay.. just..." Adam sighed. "I love you."

Ellis smiled and kissed him as he stopped the car in front of her office. "I love you too."

Adam watched her walk inside, and then he drove to the base, wondering what in hell was so important that Vince had called him up, when he already had Ash with him.