Chapter 8

"I could have lost you today." Ellis said in a small voice.

Adam looked up at her. He was sitting on the bed while she had just come out from the washroom. He had no idea what to say so he remained silent.

As he watched Ellis walked towards him until she was standing between his knees.

"I don't want to live in the past anymore." she said softly before pulling off her shirt.

...

Adam hugged Ellis to him, his face resting against her collarbone, but even before he said a single word, she knew that he would say no.

"Ell you know how much I want you but not like this. Not when you are not even sure if you want me, or you just want to remind yourself that I am still alive." Adam said softly, his breath puffing warmly against her skin.

Ellis pushed him away. Her eyes were narrowed in anger.

"Do you even know what that sounds like Adam? Just say that you don't want to touch me because you don't think I am worth.." she never got to finish the sentence because at that moment, his patience snapped and he grabbed her wrist and flipped her onto the bed on her back. He was looming over her the next instant.

"Adam don't." Ellis said in as cold a voice as she could manage but they could both hear the slight tremor in it.

"Don't what? I thought you wanted this?" he asked harshly.

"Don't try to scare me on purpose." Ellis whispered and Adam felt as if she had slapped him. He got off the bed took the few steps necessary to collapse on the couch. Ellis turned away from him, curling into a ball and hugging her knees. He looked at her, and he knew he only had himself to blame for turning what had been a lovely evening into this mess which had left her heartbroken.

He fell back onto the couch and closed his eyes. He wished he could turn off his brain too but it kept showing him her hurt expression. He was supposed to make her happy, keep her safe, and right now he was the one who had hurt her, who had tried to scare her, and God forbid, he had succeeded.

Adam cursed himself, but he could not keep looking away from her anymore. She was always beautiful to him. In truth, she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, heck, she was the only woman he ever could remember seeing. Any other woman, he could not remember past what he needed to remember for work.

Her hair was spread around her, still black, but most of her back was bare, due to her position and the fact that she was only wearing her strapless silk bra over simple silk pyjama bottoms. Adam shook his head. What sort of man would not only say no to her, but also hurt her?

He got off the couch and got on the bed again before spooning her from behind. She did not react to him in any way. Adam raised his head up on his elbow, and turned her a little, but even when she was facing him, she would not look up at him. Her lashes were spiky from moisture and Adam scowled as he realized that he had made her cry.

"I'm sorry." He said softly, his lips brushing her temple.

"You're awful." Ellis said without opening her eyes.

"A complete asshole." Adam agreed.

"What do I see in you?" She asked opening her eyes and meeting his gaze.