Chapter 1

Natsu followed his father Igneel as they walked to the port. There were many fine ships docked at the port and Igneel began examining them all. Trying to pick out the best one to steal.

"What are we doing here Father?" The boy asked.

"We are going to get a ship." Igneel replied.

"But Father I thought that we couldn't afford a ship."

"We can't but I'm afraid we'll have to steal one. Now you wait here until I get back and no wandering off."

Igneel left his son by the docks and hurried off somewhere else. As he waited for his father to return, Natsu watched local ships leave and come to the ports. For as long as he could remember the sea had always been apart of his life. In fact he had been born on a ship that was sailing over seas, his father was the captain of that ship or at least he was until his first mate started a mutiny against him. He had stolen the ship and the crew and had marooned Natsu and his father on an island. They later sneaked onto  an expedition ship that came to the island in search of precious materials. Ever since then they had been moving from town to town, stealing what they needed to live. His father was one of the best pirates known through out the seas because he was a man of honor who respected the pirate code. Natsu hoped to be just like him when he became a man.

Suddenly he heard his stomach growl. It had been so long since he had eaten a sensible meal and heaven knows how long it had been since his father had eaten period. Igneel could only get his hands on scraps found in the garage and he always gave whatever he found to Natsu, never eating any of it at all. Now Igneel had told him not to move from that exact spot where he had left him but he was so hungry at the moment that he decided that there would be no harm in just leaving for a little while to look for something to eat.

The first place he started to search for food was in the trash pits, that was where he normally got his meals. He scrounged around in the garbage, desperately seeking food but found nothing edible unless you count a rotten apple core. His strong sense of smell then picked up the marvelous aroma of a hot meal which was coming from the open window of an elegant manor.

Listening only to the desires of own his stomach, he found himself climbing through the window and entering a dining room. The table was set with silver wear and a magnificent feast. Roasted chicken, steamed vegetables, baked bread, and so much more wonderful food. Blinded by hunger he started to take a few bites of the loaf of bread then he began to help himself to the chicken.

"What are you doing here?"

He turned around to see a blonde girl with doe brown eyes, about the same age as him standing just a few steps from him. She was clean, obviously well fed, and wearing a dress and shoes that were worth a fortune. She picked up a book with hard cover and held it up in attack position.

"No wait!" He said. "I won't hurt you! I...I was just hungry."

She looked at him and took in his appearance. He was dirty, his body so skinny and thin that you could almost see his rib cage, and his clothes were all tattered. Looking into his eyes she saw starvation and agony.

"You poor boy." She put the book down, grabbed a plate, and started to put portions of each food item on the table. She then offered it to him.

"For me?" He asked skeptically.

"Have as much as you'd like." She smiled.

"Really?"

"Well I'm not about to let you starve to death."

He waited a few seconds in hesitation then started devouring the food on the plate using nothing but his bare hands.

"Could I take some with me?" He asked. "For my father? He hasn't eaten in days."